Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The rolodex of my past

We had my mom's visitation last night.
In a word, flowers.
In another word, people.
Lots and lots of people.
People I knew, people I should have known and people I don't know at all.
It was a steady stream for a good 2 hours. We actually had to start the rosary service late because the receiving line wasn't getting any smaller.
I am amazed at the people that I saw. Old high school friends, old high school friends parents, coaches, teachers -- I even saw my 7th grade English teacher. I knew that I knew her face, but could not place her name.
Oops.
Actually that was the theme of the night. I said on more than one occasion, this is what my mom always kept up on -- all these people. I never had to worry about names or anything with her around.
Some friends on my mom's did a video slide show of pictures. It was beautiful.
We are getting ready to leave for the brunch before the funeral, but I wanted to get down last nights events.
I can't believe all the people that told me I look like my mom -- for 32 years I have been told I was my father's daughter. I had sort of made peace with the fact that I was going to look like a tall, fat guy my whole life.
Well, last night it was a steady stream of how much I look like my mom.
It was odd.

Now Listening: to my sister and brother fighting.

No comments: