Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Surreal Life

I think that yesterday was the hardest day of my life.
We had my mom's funeral.
It was insane. So many people. We did a brunch in the morning before the service and then did our final family visitation before the actual funeral. It was tough. Really, really tough. Just watching them close up the casket sent me into a sobbing fit.
The funeral itself went really well. All the readings we had picked out were perfect. Father hit all the right notes that my dad had talked about in his homily. The music. That is what got me.
My cousin signing the Ava Maria about broke my heart. And then of course, there was On Eagles Wings -- the most cliche funeral song ever, but my dad wanted it. Of course, it was played right before I spoke.
Brilliant timing on my part.
But I did speak. THAT was actually the hardest thing I have had to do. All my sisters and brother came up with me, just to support me. But I got through it... barely in some parts.
We finished up and as I was sitting in the limo waiting to go to the cemetery, I looked up and saw .... my ex-ex boyfriend. Like, I haven't talked to him in something like 5 years.
It was surreal. I mean, really.
Actually the last four -- five days -- have been surreal. But the Gary thing was definitely up there on the list of key contributors.
We made it through the grave yard service without too many issues. I just remember looking back at the cars and the line just went on for ever....
So many people came down from Des Moines, flew in from the coasts..... I have been overwhelmed with people. The level of support and generosity that has been shown to my family is beyond comprehension. And the flowers and plants. We will be writing thank you notes for the rest of the year.
Right now I am just tired. So tired. Gonna hang out at the house for a few more days before heading home.
The whole thing was like a wedding in reverse. You have to say hello to everyone, balance both sides of the family, make sure the friends that travelled get the time with you -- feed and hydrate (or de-hydrate with alcohol, thanks Nate & Sebastian for the crazy wine run) everyone. Just nuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thinking of you, some more strength, i can't imagine it. indeed, rest well, before trying to get your daily life running again.
i'll burn a candle for you and your mother tonight.
MGH