Thursday, November 20, 2008

Oi Oi Oi Oi

So last night was the Dropkick Murphys show.
It was as one of my friends commented, like "a really INTENSE St. Patrick's Day celebration"
And that it was.
Loud. Punk. HOT. Mosh-pit filled. Body-surfing. Stage Diving. Copious amounts of booze. More than 10 guys in kilts.
All with bagpipes in the background.
Your run-of-the-mill-Wednesday night at our house.
Or not.
But we had a good time. It was one of those rare shows where the male-to-female ratio was easily 2:1, maybe even 3:1. Such that there was a constant line out the mens bathroom door and I was able to walk right into the womens room without any wait. And several times, that wasn't just a one time occurrence.
And for a Irish punk band, that is what you would expect.
Two observations on the night.
I could offer up a whole slew of them, but will keep it to the highlights:
1. We ran into a number of Joe's high school acquaintances there. People he knows casually and of course, didn't know he was having a baby. Try as you might, 7 month pregnant chicks tend to stick out in a crowd like that. And one of his buddies -- who clearly was having a good time -- at one point called me "Mrs. McConville"
Hit the brakes on that one. It was just so unexpected and well, that is his mom, not me.
It was weird.
2. As I mentioned, the crowd had the potential to get a little rough. Now, the venue is set up such that there is a whole section of tables etc, that runs parallel to the open floor. And its the open floor where all the mosh-pit/slam dancing action was taking place. So I was well removed from the action, but could still see the stage. And thus, out of harms way of flailing arms, legs, elbows or drunk people. But every time Joe would walk away from me for something -- he would tap one of his buddies with the "keep an eye on her" message.
Now, while actually somewhat endearing that he cares and is looking out for me, give me a break. Nothing is going to happen to me sitting at a table 100 ft from the crowd.

All in all, great show. Glad we went. Trying to get as much as that sort of stuff on the calendar before January. Figure my days of live music are somewhat short at this point. Which saddens me just a bit, but thems the breaks.

And as a reminder to my loyal readers, I love my job. Love it. LUUUUUV it.
Lets just say, an angry, punk crowd was right up my alley last night.

Now Listening: Pablo Honey by Radiohead

No comments: