Friday, November 14, 2008

A Friday Morning Bitch

Who me? Bitch?
No, I don't believe it.
I know everyone says, don't complain unless you have a solution to offer up.
That is a mantra that this girl doesn't necessarily subscribe to. And when I say necessarily, I mean -- for the most part -- never. Sometimes you have to just get it off your chest.
(See my entire archive of blog posts as a prime example)

So here it is, straight from Dilbert-ville.
I work for corporate America. Like many of you. This means that a healthy portion of my days are spent in meetings talking about the work that we should actually be doing. This also means that I live in cube-land within 4-6 foot proximity of my closest neighbor.
This is just the set up.
So as I mentioned; meetings. We have lots of them. Easily half to 3/4s of a typical day are spent in meetings. This means that we have a way of tracking them -- in our case, Groupwise. Most of you probably use Microsoft Exchange.
Its email. Its your schedule. Its my life.
If it is not in my calendar, it doesn't exist.
So 3 times this week, I have received phone calls from people about scheduling meetings. As in
"Meghan, what time would work best for you?"
And my standard response is...
"my calendar is current. take a look there."

And then they want to debate it. I don't know what I am doing tomorrow. I sure as hell don't know what I am doing 2 days from now. So look it up in the system that we have to track that very thing.
Its not hard. There is even a "Busy Search" button that tells you who has conflicts with a given time.
This is not rocket science people.
Not at all.

Now Listening: Get Behind Me Satan by The White Stripes

No comments: