Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Writers Strike?!?!?!?

Not for this girl. I mean, yes -- the daily show is not THE daily show but A daily show. A great nod to the fact that this current version is not the same ole' stuff and that Jon really didn't want to go back to work.
At least that is my take.
The real joy has manifested itself over the last few days in the course of two very different and very WRONG tv shows.
I can't help it.
I am addicted.
I think there is something in the tv transmission that has altered my brain waves.
Perhaps an old school turn back to subliminal messages or something.
And what, ask the screaming masses, have you been killing brain cells with if not wine and other assorted adult beverages?
Don't fret little ones, plenty of brain cells have been sacrificed in the name of -- my social life, but I will get to that in bit.
This currently guilty pleasure stems from two of tv's finest offerings....
Rock of Love II
and
American Idol.

I mean, where do you start?
Lets go for the obvious one.
Its sluttier. Trashier. Big-boobier. More chick on chick action. Drunker. Tattoo-ier. More body piercing filled.
Its a 40 year old former hair band guy claiming that he is looking for true love amongst a bunch of strippers. 20 year old strippers. And I don't exaggerate. He has a stripper pole IN THE LIVING ROOM. So, I mean its not like we are hiding the fact that exotic dancers are everywhere.
It is a train wreck. And I can't wait to see how it plays out. 15 women. 15 weeks. It speaks to me.
It's actually shouting "run away!! now! Fast as you can!!"
But like a train wreck, can't really get there from here.

Which leads me to ridiculous show #2 -- American Idol.
A few things on this topic. I disavowed all things AI for 5 years. FIVE YEARS. It meant nothing to me. I would catch the embarrassing moments on the ads and that was enough for me, thanks very much.
Well, two years ago -- almost exactly -- my mom had some major surgery on her back. Off-shoot of the cancer. She was in a neck to waist brace, zero mobility, the whole thing. So, I took a week, worked from our KC office and was hanging out in the house at night helping out. And low and behold, my mother was a AI fan. And she insisted on watching it. This was well into about 1/2 of the season at this point. For those of you that don't know, it shows two nights a week. So not only did I get an introduction, but I got a double dose.
And I was hooked. By the time I got home the following week, well I had to see who got kicked off, duh.
And then there was last season -- and it wasn't even that good from what I have been told. I mean, we had Sanjaya and that whole train wreck. The NICEST girl in rock -- Melinda Doolittle (BTW, what did ever happen to her?) and then the queen of bubble gum -- Jordin Sparks.
And this season is off to a banging start. There was the guy dressed as Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi that actually went and got his chest waxed on Paula's advice. The other dude that sang so low and horrible that Paula (the nice one or the crack head, depends on the day) and Randy were laughing at him.
It was just too much. AND, its on again tomorrow. Oh sweet relief.

What else? Had the sisters up here for the weekend. Took good care of them -- Christmas presents abounded -- ok, really late, but hey. Dinner, drinks, more hennessey shots, drinks and did I mention drinks? Pictures forthcoming.
I think I may need detox this week. I was a little crazy last week. Need to curb that just a smidge.
And overheard in a dressing room in west des moines this weekend:
"No, these pants are too big"
Sounds of friend peeking in room...
"Yep, you are swimming"
Enter perky retail-type
" Can I get another size for you?
"Yeah -- these TWO'S are too big, do you have a zero?"
I threw up in my mouth.

So there was that.
I am inching ever closer to re-entering the dating world, and possibly the online dating world.
This has me a little freaked as a quick perusal of match.com had some people I know on there -- yes, Des Moines is in fact a small town and some of the same people that I saw out there two years ago!!
Eek.
Stay tuned.
Alrighty then, Daily Show "A" or "The" is starting soon.
late.

Now Listening: Frank by Amy Winehouse

No comments: