Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Nearing the end...

And staying put.
More baby updates later.
Hope everyone had a great Christmas & Hanukkah. We celebrated in fine style at the house. Had something going on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after. And in true Irish fashion, the collective masses knocked back some serious libations. I mean, I surveyed my kitchen the morning after Christmas and was frankly in shock at the number of cans and wine bottles -- and that was without my contribution to the festivities.
That and we had enough left-overs to feed a small army.
So good work to all the family. But we did have a good time. I think everyone had a great time. And minus some smack talking over a very critical game of Trivial Pursuit, everyone got along.
Which is good as we are all going to be seeing each other again in roughly 3 weeks when the Little Leprechaun makes his big debut.
Did get introduced to the extended family on Joe's side. As expected, I needed a family tree to keep track of everyone, but I think I did ok. Met his great-Aunt and Uncle, who are both 90+, have been married for 71 years and still live in their own home. She introduced herself to me as she was kicking back a Bud Light.
Suffice it to say. I liked her.
Actually really like everyone. They were great.

What else? Slow work week this week. When do I ever say that?? This should translate to loads and loads of productive things out of my cube. But, not sure that I am gonna get there from here. At a minimum, I am working on getting everything prepped for my maternity leave. So the peeps taking over the work aren't totally left in the lurch.
Which leads us to our maternity update for the week.
Smooth transition I know.
We are on weekly appointments now. Which means I am becoming BFF's with the nurses at the clinic.
The stats as of this week:
Me: gained a total of 26 lbs to date. While this is not a bad thing --recommended weight gain is 25-35 lbs total for the entire pregnancy -- I had a lot to start with, thus have hit some numbers on the scale that are a new high (or low, depending on how you look at it) for me. Bit of a sticker shock when you are looking at those damn numbers bouncing back and forth before they settle on the judgement due to you.
Little Leprechaun: Heart Rate -- sitting at an active 140 BPM. He is head down and frankly, seems pretty darn content to stay put for the time being,
Haven't dropped. And there is no sign of any of the necessary changes down below to indicate that this kid is showing up a second before the 19th -- and that is probably the earliest we will see him. I have maintained for some time that he is going to be past the due date. I guess time will tell. On the upside, we have hit the 37 week mark - which makes us technically full term. So it really could be any day now.
And as such, I have actually started sorta packing my bag for the hospital. It does seem really odd to be doing so, but then again....
So that is about it from this neck of the woods. I would love to report that I have some serious New Years plans, however in recent days I have discovered the following: for every hour of activity that I do, I need roughly an hour of nap time. So rocking out the New Year this year... probably not gonna be happening. That and most of my friends are going the house party route this year, or so it seems. I think Joe has to work, so it may just be a cozy night in with the Dick Clark on the TV -- or whomever is taking his place these days.
Yes, this seals my fate as 1) lame and 2) Really Lame and 3) 8.5 months pregnant on New Years.
Jealous much?
Thought so.

Now Listening: Sister Sweetly by Big Head Todd and the Monsters

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy new year and good luck. your life will soon be chaos for a while, but of a benign kind. follow your intuition and ignore all the good advice; it is your cub!
2-months mother from the other side of the ocean, MGH