Friday, December 05, 2008

The Merry Month of Des Moines

Book club on Wednesday created a whole new month for us here in the heartland.
The month of Des Moines. Courtesy of our good friend -- Carissa.
Outside of the center of the universe known as book club, it is technically the month of December. But how fun is that?
Among the many topics we covered at the gathering -- aside from the book, which we did actually discuss, at least a little bit were:
  • Eating habits of husbands/significant others and how much they still love the comfort food their moms used to make them.
  • Gay mens chorus
  • The economy (see we actually do more than just bitch about men)
  • A girls night outing -- tied to the Gay Men's Chorus.
  • And assorted other gossip and general catch up.
All in all, we had a great time and Brooke put out quite a spread. Including this Apple/Carmel dipping-goodness that she was unable to share the recipe for.
Total bummer, as it was AWESOME. And not just pregnant woman awesome, everyone liked it.

Moving on, I shall devote the rest of this post to bitching about being pregnant.
Fasten the seat belt kids...
And AWAY WE GO...

Someone brought bagels in today to work. Not an infrequent sight around here, but a nice gesture. One of my co-workers goes walking past my cube on his way to his cube, followed closely by a manager of another group. He made some off-hand comment about how he should grab a bagel before they are all gone. To which the manager-in-tow comments, "Better get one before the pregnant woman eats them all"
He was (I think) joking, but not funny.
Really.
At all.
Like I had established a periphery around the bagel bag and was actively monitoring anyone that went near it.
Not to mention the though of scarfing down a dozen bagels, sorta makes me want to throw up.

Shortly after this little incident, I was walking to get some water from the water cooler. Walk past another co-worker who exclaims loudly -- "That belly is just getting bigger and bigger by the minute"
Yes - I will totally admit it is. I have said so myself, but come on. Like if someone had just put on weight would you announce to the world "Hey, your ass sure has spread a lot in the last 4 months!"
No. You would not. At least, I wouldn't think that you would.

I am convinced there is some pregnancy switch in most peoples mind. It does one of two things. It either convinces you that I am somehow disabled and totally incapable of normal physical function. Or it removes any and all filters from your brain that somehow make you think it is totally acceptable to ask the most outrageous and personal of questions. Are you going to breastfeed? How much weight have you gained? Or my personal favorite, how are you planning to deliver, vaginally or c-section?
WTF?
NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
If I wanted to share those facts with you -- you wouldn't be asking the questions, as I don't have an issue talking through it with people that are actually friends. Discussing my breastfeeding plans with the DBA Manager is not my idea of a good afternoon.

Yes, I am in a mood today. But people are stupid, so its just a natural reaction.

Now Listening: Under Construction by Missy Elliott

No comments: