Friday, December 19, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it....

For those of you that don't live in Iowa -- I know there are a few of you out there -- you would have thought that the world was coming to an icy end yesterday.
We were slated to be at the center of the perfect winter storm. Snow from the north, sleet & freezing rain from the south. The newscasts were full of warnings, emergency procedures and general wrath of god type stuff.
Keep in mind, this is Iowa. In December. Its not like this is the first time we have seen sleet, snow, ice or any combination thereof.
However, the gloom and doom was prevalent yesterday. So much so that they started letting schools out at 2 PM. Which then means, that the office started emptying out at 2 PM as people left to go get their kids. Our office Christmas party -- postponed.
All the while, not a cloud in the sky, roads were dry and we were business as usual.
3PM - same thing.
4 PM - same thing
5 PM - same thing
6 PM - same thing
At roughly 7ish, we finally saw some sleet. And so Joe and I decided as it was a night we had planned on being at the office party, to go run errands. And frankly, it was great. No one was out. Roads were pretty good and we got a ton done because no one was out. Babies R Us -- ghost town. Target - ghost town.
All this 6 days before Christmas. It was awesome.
And then of course, I came to work this morning. Made it in 20 minutes (with a coffee stop) and I was the ONLY one in my area until about 9 AM. I mean, the roads weren't perfect, but I have seen MUCH worse in these parts before.
So here's hoping I can get a lot done in the next few hours. I would estimate roughly 2/3's of my teams are out. Which means, if I am productive, I am going to try and get out of here around 2 PM and hit the mall. If everyone is hibernating in their homes afraid of the roads, the mall won't be total chaos.
Here's hoping.

Now Listening: Gossip in the Grain by Ray LaMontagne

No comments: