Monday, December 01, 2008

Its white, powdery and

Makes people drive like idiots.
Snow people, I am talking about snow. Get those filthy minds out of the gutter.
But we will get to that Monday morning rant in a bit.
I survived.
Yes, the official start of the holiday season is upon us and it was ushered in among a waterfall of wine, beer, turkey, shopping & well, general family overload.
I hope yours was the same as there really is nothing like it.
Headed to Omaha on Thursday morning after whipping up two apple pies while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.
The pies, for the record, kicked ass, if I do say so myself.
Joe headed off to family events in the opposite direction that same morning.
Turkey dinner was good. I think we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 people there. And that wasn't a drop in the proverbial family bucket. I believe that only accounted for about 1/2 of the immediate family. But ate too much - not too hard for me these days and chalked another major family event up stone-cold sober.
This, I am afraid, is getting old.
And, it wasn't helped by the fact that I had to pour my whole family out of my Aunt's house Thursday night and play taxi driver to all of them.

Whee.

Only one more to go -- Christmas and then eventually back on the band wagon.
Here's hoping I make it in one piece.
What else? Watched a lot of football (go Huskers!) and some basketball. Chilled out a bit. Did a smidge of shopping. Got one Christmas gift. It was the only thing that I knew I wanted to get for Joe, so that is done. Of course, I still need more, so that challenge is on the table. Along with what to get for EVERYONE else. I shall muddle through it.
Moving on to the inevitable pregnancy portion of my broadcast.
One of the key reasons that I went to the mall on Saturday was to get a new bra. I say this as the ones I bought roughly 2 months ago were digging into my sides -- a sure sign that they don't technically fit anymore. So, I find the women's department and a willing sales lady (they were everywhere) and asked to get fitted.
Now - for those of you that haven't been fitted in a long time (or at all? is that possible) its a fairly painless process. Hold up arms and cross fingers that you are not into some record setting sizes. And women's bra's consist of two measurements. The one around your chest - measured in inches and the cup size -- not sure how that science works but translates to a letter.
We have all heard the ideal, 36 something? right? Or seen the strippers on Jerry Springer that are rocking out like, a 38F or something. Which for the record is GI-NORMOUS.
Within 6 weeks of finding out I was pregnant I went up once size around the chest and a cup size. I have done it again. And lets just say that when you get to the size I am ... cute goes out the window. You are shopping in the section that you only thought your great Aunt who is like, 75 shops in. There are three colors available to you - white, nude and black. I mean we are talking needing a structural engineer and some serious load bearing girders or something.

And the best part -- I can only expect to get BIGGER once the kid arrives.
So after that humbling holy-crap moment of mammary-magnitude, I took off for my shower.
Which was lovely and had a great time. We got more stuff -- actually some really needed stuff, so that is all good.
Got to see some friends I haven't seen in ages -- and their super-adorable new babies. And catch up with family members and their super-adorable babies. It was good.
It was sorta a new Omaha experience for me as I was actually staying in a hotel for the whole trip. In all years past, I have stayed with a good friend in her guest room. Well, she had the nerve to turn the guest room into a nursery for their new little girl.
So, I was out my cheap and always lovely living arrangements for the weekend. Which meant sharing a hotel room with my sisters.
This had the potential for well, some sisterly love (translation: bad juju).
But we did ok. I felt sorta bad, as we had two beds. Which wouldn't have been an issue except they were full beds, not Queen. So they had to, well, snuggle, as they both insisted I have my own bed.
The only eye-opening event was my sister Melissa. Now, I have known for some time that she takes a little long to get ready. But you would have thought we were going to the Oscars or something Saturday morning. We had committed to being ready to meet my Dad and brother for breakfast at 10 AM. Not 6 AM, not even 8 AM -- 10 AM. Nice little brunch.
In order for her to be ready at 10 Am, she set her alarm for 8 AM. Yes, TWO HOURS.
TWO.
2.
One less than three.
And she still was rushing out the door!!!!
Unbelievable.
Let's just say that by the time we left on Sunday, I was ready to be home.
Which brings me back -- finally -- to my original point. We woke up on Sunday to a light, and I mean, light dusting of snow in Omaha. So I wasn't expecting anything too bad for the drive home.
And truthfully, it wasn't. However, as I got closer to Des Moines, the light dusting became noticeable accumulation. But the roads were fine.
It all culminated about 20 miles from home when I literally was in bumper to bumper stopped traffic. So we are creeping along, and I am waiting for the construction signs, the accident, SOMETHING to warrant a full stop on the interstate.
And you know what, there was nothing.
Nada.
Just people driving like momo's.
I mean, this is Iowa. Most of the plates I saw were Iowa plates. Did you forget between last winter and this one what that means during the months of November thru March?
And like I said, there was NOTHING on the roads. So really, even using the "I forgot how to drive in the snow" argument didn't hold water.
Now, I have to admit, this time of year, it is cool to have snow. But it all needs to melt starting 01/01/09.
Anyway, there is your small novella of catch up.


Now Listening: Give Up by The Postal Service

No comments: