Thursday, July 19, 2007

How not to start the day

I go get coffee every morning on my way to work. I go to the same place everyday. With very rare exception, I get the SAME thing. It's almost like a Visa commercial:

16 oz dark roast coffee with tax: $1.75

16 oz dark roast coffee and a scone with tax: $3.71

Having the drive through people know you by name: Priceless.

Clearly, they know me, I know them. So today, must have been someone new. I give them the usual order. She asks, "do you need room for cream?" Which is a silly question, but the answer is "No". I get my coffee and scone, pay and head for work. Now I don't ever drink the coffee in the car. Too hot. Plus, driving in the morning is something of a challenge for me. I am a smidge prone to road rage. So best that I keep the coffee in the cup holder until I get to work. By then it has cooled enough and I can enjoy it. I am walking in the door when a little bit of coffee spills through the lid. It looks a funny color. I open the lid. Milky brown. Not almost black. My coffee, even after she asked, has cream in it.

Gross. Can't handle it. I actually had to go to the coffee shop down the road -- which is like, my 10th choice for coffee -- and get another cup. And things have been going down hill ever since. Projects at work are spiraling out of control.

I believe I know the root cause.... For whatever reason, perhaps it is my slavish fashion sense, I put on the 4-leaf clover ring this AM. Yeah, retiring that one for sure effective immediately.

Now Listening: Fumbling Towards Ecstasy by Sarah McLachlan

1 comment:

bethm said...

Do I need to come over for dinner and wine tonight? We could grill out pop a cork? Let me know what you think.