Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Housesitting Basics

  1. Feed cats daily
  2. Collect mail every day
  3. Keep house in one piece
It would seem that I have all but one of those in hand. Specifically, #3. Well, it is not so dramatic as that, but a small glitch nonetheless.
Last night I was at the house, Amy was dropping off some groceries she had gotten for Nate & Martine's return back home. I normally use the keypad and just go in through the garage. Easier. Don't have to worry about keys, etc. So, we get the groceries put away, I feed the cats, grab the mail and we are on our way out the door. So I go to close the garage door, it starts closing, gets all the way down and then goes back up.
Both Amy & I look at each other -- odd, we think. So I hit the code again and the door starts closing and the same thing happens, it gets all the way down and then goes back up. I check the sensors... all clear. And then I notice this cable on the left side of the door that clearly I shouldn't be noticing. It is the cable that actually brings the door up and down. It is frayed and off the track. Now, I am in work clothes. So I tell Amy, I will take care of it. I can leave the door open for 10 minutes while I run home, change clothes. So that is what I do. I head back over, and try to pull the cable back to the inside of the door. That doesn't work. I get on top of the garbage can and try to get the cable back on the track. That doesn't work as it is a little tangled and there is not enough tension to hold it in place.
At this point, the garage door has gone up and down roughly 80 times. I am convinced that too much more of this will fry the little motor in the actual opener. And clearly, I can't leave the house wide open.
I hit "girl mode".
As in, I am a girl, clearly I can't do anything about this.
I start making phone calls, texting. I managed to get hold of my friend Lisa. I was like, um, is Tim around? He gets on the phone, I explain the situation to him. I get the "is there a release cord anywhere?". I look. Dangling over the Bug is a red cord that is attached to the arm that is attached to the opener. I pull it. Low and behold, the door is now free of the opener and will go down manually.
So at this point, I am elated, as I have managed to get the door shut and I will not be a total failure at house sitting.
I then realize that I have, however, created a mess for Nate & Martine to figure out when they get home. So, if either of you read this before I see you tomorrow -- sorry about that.
Our lesson here? I am a kick-ass house sitter for about 2 weeks. You get into week 3 and I can't be held accountable for what may or may not happen. In all fairness however, I have steps 1 & 2 in great shape.
And to top it off, I get a call from Nate's sister this morning. Her boys are keeping the yard in check. She calls and is like, "Meghan, this is Tara, Nate's sister. I noticed that the garage door wasn't working and wanted to see if you knew about it." I then told her the story above and I will be meeting them back at the house later this evening so they can get in. So I am sure she thinks I am a great friend.
All in all, a great way to end things. Here we are less than 24 hours before they get home and I managed to goof it up.
Well, I know they had been talking about a new garage door. Perhaps I just accelerated that little house project.
Clearly the next time any of you who read this are out of town and need someone to keep an eye on things, I might not be your first choice. And I think I am ok with that.
Alrighty then. Back to it. A little lunch time blogging and the work is piling up.
Out.

Now Listening: Sam's Town by The Killers

No comments: