Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Patriot 'Merica

Happy Belated 4th of July to you all.
Hope everyone was able to enjoy a long weekend full of good ole' fashioned American good times.
And yes, that is actual sarcasm dripping off your monitor right now.

Had a full weekend here in fly-over country. Family goodness in Cedar Falls for the 4th. Including my brother getting hit with a firework. And, not talking a sparkler here -- a big-ass firework that didn't really clear the launch tube and made a bee-line for his chest. And then singed his arm.
Suffice it to say, that ended the highly-anticipated fireworks show at my uncle's house. Let everyone know about the little leprechaun. Family was very excited.
I will say this... being on the other end of the drinking spectrum. Mainly - they were drinking and I wasn't, is a whole different point of view. One I suppose I should get used to.

Then high-tailed it back to Des Moines to hit a wedding on Saturday. Which was completely lovely. Best of luck to Sarah & Kirk on their new life together.

Sunday was the big day. The "sunday, Sunday - SUNDAY" of my week. Joe met my dad and both of our parents got together for brunch. Which quite frankly went pretty well. I wasn't expecting Hatfield - McCoy type thing, but you have to admit, it did have some of the makings of a potentially awkward meal. However, the old Bluejay power took over. See, both my dad and both of Joe's parents were at Creighton at the exact same time. So we had a whole lot of "did you know so-and-so" going on. That entire train of conversation kept a lot of bullets away from Joe and I. Not that we wouldn't have been prepared to deal with some of them - but still. It was nice to just have breakfast and enjoy the company.

In closing, all family members now are in the now. Work is clear. Parents have met. And for the most part, feeling pretty good -- with a rare exception this morning. Guess the little leprechaun decided to remind me that yes, he is still there and yes, he is still in charge. I suppose I should just get used to that reality.

I feel like there are 100 other things that I should be reporting back to the masses. However, I am drawing a big fat blank. Pregnancy brain already? That's scary.

So as always, stay tuned.

Now Listening: Change is Gonna Come by Leela James

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just read through the last few of your posts, having not being the most attentive of your readers.

JESUS CHRIST!

Is THIS what, in the wide, wide world of sports, happens when I leave all you kids alone for THREE MONTHS!?

A wee-beos.

The world will be a better place for it.

-T