Tuesday, November 20, 2007

First Pluto and now this... ?

Ok- I was willing to set aside 12 years in the public school system when scientist told me a few months back that Pluto was no longer a planet. Although, in all fairness Pluto -- you will always be #9 for me, cold, unforgiving and the smallest of the planets. You were always the easiest to make in my many planetary diorama's.
Ah, the joys of elementary school - a solar system in a shoe box.
Moving on.
I was surfing around the Internet over lunch today and came across this little article HERE. I was intrigued. I clicked. I clicked and had my whole childhood destroyed in one newspaper article.
The gist of the story is that they have released a number of the original episodes of Sesame Street out on DVD -- and they are not recommended for children.
You read that right my Gen-X'rs.
Add it to the list of things that have kept us from reaching our full potential:
  • Bike helmets. Never wore one. Must be why I am so slow.
  • Small Lego's. Played with them. Probably swallowed one or two.
  • Homemade treats at school. Ate them. The entire reason I am 15 lbs overweight to be sure.
  • Santa saying Ho Ho Ho. As a woman, I am offended and I am boycotting Christmas.
And now this.... Sesame Street had the "wrong" message all those years ago. Yep. Counting, the alphabet, and some diversity for those of us stuck in middle, white America -- completely screwed us all up.
First Burt and Ernie got split up and now this epiphany.
I might need therapy to convince me that Cookie Monster gobbling cookies was in fact a bad thing.

Next thing you know, revisionist history will be applied to the Smurfs. Can't wait for the fall out from that one.

Now Listening (probably too loudly with earphones and will cause permanent hearing damage): The Reminder by Feist

No comments: