Monday, April 13, 2009

Weekend Update

Happy Belated Easter to everyone.
Yes, like all the other C & E Catholics, we went and got our God on yesterday. That's Christmas and Easter Catholics for those of you not in-the-know.
I remember how much my parents used to get annoyed with the C & E's because it meant that we had to be at Mass like, 800 hours before things started just to get a seat. And we were there every week.
That was my parents. We however, are not so good at getting to church on a weekly basis. But we made it -- on time, with Finn in tow and he behaved the whole Mass like a good little leprechaun. Oh, and he looked rather styling as well. He was rockin' the sweater vest like no other 2 month old there.
Easter to me is not a huge holiday. I know from a strictly theological standpoint it is sorta the big one, but not huge in my mind. Which is why -- in a very commercial, non-theology based move, I decided against waiting in line at the mall like the 8,749 other families on Saturday for a picture with a large stuffed rabbit - aka the Easter Bunny.
Martine had a good point -- when you go to see Santa, its for a purpose. To let him know what you want for Christmas. The Easter Bunny just brings stuff on principal -- candy, chocolate, eggs.... you get the idea. You don't actual engage with the Easter Bunny, you just sit there, smile (hopefully) and go about your business. So it wasn't a big deal.
Additionally, I don't think that Finn will look at me accusingly in 15 years and be like"Mom -- why don't I have any pictures with the Easter Bunny?!?!"

And in a terribly devout mood, we made it home from Easter dinner with the family in time to see the season finale of Rock of Love 3.
Yes.
It pretty much undercut any and all moral high ground I had gained by attending church that morning. In fact, I am fairly sure it set me back a few more Christmas and Easters. But I have to watch.
Its like that wreck on the interstate that you slow down to look at even though you know its wrong and you aren't going to like what you see.
It was the finale people.
His ROCK OF LOVE.
Complete with Ring!!!
That was a new twist this season -- never had a ring before. And I was pulling for our sweet-Southern girl-next-door Mindy. But instead, he went with the batshit crazy, Penthouse Pet of the Year -- Taya.
Ick. Gross. And ick some more.
Joe called it -- and I was still disappointed.
Of course, we were watching and Finn is sitting in our laps and we are watching with him. I felt sorta bad. Like I should be covering his eyes or giving him a bath after the show was over.
Bad parents.
I need some Baby Einsteins or something. At least then I wouldn't feel as guilty about the pull the TV has over my kid.

What else?
Adding insult to injury -- on this rainy, wet, overcast Monday (never a good start to the week in and of itself) today was Finn's first day at daycare.
Boo.
Don't get me wrong -- as I have mentioned before, I have no dreams of being a stay-at-home mom. Not my thing. And I knew this was coming, but it was still hard to do.
He just looked at me with these big, innocent, happy eyes and was like, Ok Mom -- leave me with perfect strangers. That is just fine. I will cope.
The worst part is that I know logically that he is fine, in a good place with people that have his best interest at heart. However, I never went to daycare. My mom stayed at home for all of us, so I have no point of reference for what I am subjecting him to.
Millions have done it before me, millions did it today and millions will do it tomorrow, -- it just makes the whole idealistic, newborn patina that I have painted over this whole domestic scene erode.
Bah.

Now Listening: August and Everything After by Counting Crows

No comments: