Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rumble, rumble

Hello?
"Hello Back"
the vast emptiness of the Ethernet responds.
Yes, its true boys and girls. When one has a blog, it is considered in good manners to post on said blog.
Thus, I throw myself at the mercy of the one or two of you that still check this thing for posts and will hardily resume my rambling ways.

It would seem that the ensuing lapse of time since last we visited would have me with many, many stories to fill the gap.
Alas, that is not to be the case.
Not that things haven't been afoot.
We have showered -- both in the party and literal sense. Congrats to Annie on her upcoming nuptials and we gave mom-to-be Lisa a good few carloads of baby gear to prep her for the arrival of her little girl.
We have celebrated Finn's 3 month birthday.
We have worked. And gotten really annoyed with work process. Creating documents to say that we don't need documents seems a little, what's the word? -- oh yeah -- STUPID and WASTE OF MY TIME.
We have decided that our house will probably never really be clean again. And we are learning to live with that decision.

But there are two things that have caught my attention in the last few days that I feel the need to share.
One happened just last night.
Did you feel the cosmos tremble a little bit? No, really? Not even a little nudge?
Well you should have.
Last night. I get home with the little leprechaun in tow. Drop the 80 metric tons of shit that come with me and him (again figurative and in some cases -- literal) and say Hi to Joe. We small talked, blah, blah and then he says...
Drumroll please...
"Hey, do you mind if I meet my brother out and we watch some of the baseball game tonight?"
I will grant you, just reading that sentence in and of itself, nothing special. A seemingly simple question with what I am sure should be a simple answer.
What rocked my world, and the aforementioned cosmos was that he ASKED in the first place.
Refrains of "He can be taught" went bouncing around ye olde' noggin.
Don't get me wrong -- I am totally for guy time. Mainly as I am totally for girl time and without one -- you don't get the other.
Nor do I consider myself lord and master over the house and all who inhabit it.
But lets just say that the road to asking rather than just doing, assuming or what ever other "ing" is relevant, has been long, bumpy and more than a little rough in spots.
It was a milestone in my world. One that I hope to repeat often.
For the record, of course I was like -- knock it out of the park. Have fun. Thanks for asking.
See - I can play nice on the playground when needed.

Tonight should be another doozie of an evening.
See, we are getting Finn baptized this weekend.
Yes - our little heathen, bastard child is getting right with God.
I kid of course -- but we are going through with it. Its the right thing to do and keeps grandparents really happy.
Tonight we are meeting with the deacon that will perform the ceremony. Seems the parish priest doesn't do them anymore.
Fine, cool. Moving on.
Well, I just know that at some point along the way, the whole marriage -- or lack thereof -- will come up. Should be a good time.
This also means that our house needs to get rocked in a cleaning-up, we have 30 people coming over Sunday sort of way. Keep your fingers crossed that I actually manage to pull this off.
Alrighty then.

That should get us somewhat up to speed. At least I hope.
Out.

Now Listening: Let It Die by Feist

2 comments:

bethm said...

I'll comment. Do you want any help cleaning a few things up on Friday night. I know, exciting way to spend a Friday night, but I can lend a hand. And see the cute kid. Maybe bring a beer to drink, or two. Drunk cleaning is always better. Let me know what I can do to help! BTW... I better see Finn in one of them there christening gowns!

Anonymous said...

Our son has just turned half a year and is now eating banana and bread. Spend more time in the house and still have less time. So the pace of your blog suits me pretty well!

MGH
The Netherlands