Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Stats lie

I am opinionated.
Of that there is little debate. And I do like to at least think that my opinions are well thought out and bare some merit on their own standing.
I throw this out there as I am about to go on a little rant about an article I read yesterday.
You can read the article here on CNN.com
First of all, it took me a few sentences into said article for me to realize that I am now one of the statistics. That in and of itself took me a little bit of time. And I think the reason that it did, is that MOST of the article is versed in terms of not just out of wedlock births, but being raised by single moms. I have immeasurable respect for single mothers. No matter what the path that got them to this point in their lives. Having done this mom thing for a mere two months, I cannot fathom how one does it alone. And we have (knock on some SERIOUS wood) not had any issues in those two months to really challenge us.
And so I feel a little odd being lumped into that category - because aside from a piece of paper, Joe and I live together, we are raising our son together and we are by every definition I can think of, minus again, that damn piece of paper, a family.
The other thing that really chapped my ass - large, white and otherwise, was this little nugget:

Along with magazine-cover grabbers like Angelina Jolie and Bristol Palin,
Hoffman, today a 39-year-old mother of three, is part of a now record-breaking
trend of women who give birth outside of wedlock.

Ok read that.
Now read again.
Bristol Palin is not a trendsetter in my mind.
She is a 17 year old girl who, like many 17 year old girls before her, let her hormones get the best of her and will now have a lifetime of responsibility to remind her of that. But she is not, in my mind a woman. She is still in high school, still living at home, still dependent on her family to support her financially. Now, I will grant you, its her mother that created the drama as the VP candidate, but to count her or even CONSIDER her as a trendsetter -- is nutso.
And times that by about a ba-zillion when you consider the "trend" that is being discussed.
Because believe me, it wasn't like I sat around and thought to myself, "Self, you know what I really want in 2009? A baby!! Yep, all the cool kids are having them and I need one"
No.
Not really.
Not at all.
But once it happened, it wasn't like I WAS a 17 year old. I was 32 years old, with a good job, benefits, a home and the means to support a child. And a father that wanted to, and has been from day one, a huge part of his life.
Maybe I am looking to justify it because this isn't how I thought this would happen.
But what in life does? I mean really.
I didn't plan on my mom passing away before I had kids. Or got married. But she did.
And we have made it.
I guess what I am saying is that while the situation isn't ideal, you really have to look at each situation on its merits. And that is where nationwide studies like this fall short because I am now in the same statistical category as a 17 year old girl who is still totally dependent on her mother.
I am also in the same category as Angelina Jolie.
And well, there is about zero in my life that puts me in the same category as her, so the other end of the spectrum isn't accurate either.
Snargleblatt.
The whole thing just irks me.
And thus, I shall close the chapter on my statistical trending rant.
I never was good at math.

Now Listening: Moondance by Van Morrison

No comments: