Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Utterly Sublime

Its a rainy, cool day here in cow country. The cool part I am totally down with. The rainy part not so much, but hey, you do what you can.
A couple of things to get the screaming masses caught up on Meghan's world.
I did manage to get to the Iowa State Fair last weekend with my sister and one of her friends. We had fun. Saw the butter Shawn Johnson -- with no medal, which seemed wrong.
For the record, didn't really look like her. But had to be a life size replica as it was very tiny.
Ate some fried foods, got a milkshake straight from the dairy barn.
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard....
Had to go there.
Saw all the requisite award-winning barn animals (And in some cases, their ridiculous genitalia).
And topped it all of with some people watching that is frankly, second to none.

Working on getting the house packed up. Movers come a week from today. Eek.
I am in no way, shape or form ready for that. Which means the next few days -- and especially the weekend need to be like super productive. Which sucks, but thems are the breaks.

I have been totally addicted to the Olympics this year. And so in true Olympic fashion, I went for a personal record the other night. I was at home, the fridge is looking pretty bare these days. For good reason, I hate moving food -- so trying to keep that stock down low. I ended up settling on pancakes for dinner.
Hey - when you were a kid you thought that was cool, NOT pathetic.
So I made my pancakes, got them all prepped with butter and syrup and then plopped down in front of the TV to watch athletes who haven't had a pancake in like, 8 years.
I then proceeded to set a personal record in pancake consumption as I watched the aforementioned athletes.
And they were good.
And I am not ashamed.

So then today, I get this email.
I should qualify. I get a lot of emails in a day. Work, personal, Spam, you name it.
But this one bordered on the utterly insane.
I have subscribed to a few baby/pregnancy sites since I found out I was pregnant. Most of them are pretty cool. What is happening this week, that sort of thing. Well, one of them sends an email that is intended to be passed on to the Dad-to-be.
Conceptually, a good thing. Dads should be actively involved with this. And I know that Joe had already subscribed to one of the sites as well, so he is getting the same info as I am.
Here is the text of this one:

By now you're no doubt a little curious about what this labor thing that
everybody's been talking about will look like — and how you'll get through it.
Like the good Boy Scout you are, be prepared. Though you probably won't be
signing up for childbirth classes yet, it isn't too early to start your
childbirth preparation — and satisfy your curiosity. Your partner may be as
curious as you are, so watch a video of an actual labor and delivery together —
you'll definitely score points by initiating the screening. (Or she may not be
ready to face that particular fear, so ask before you pop in the video.) Your
hospital or birthing center may have one to lend you, or search online for a
greater variety of delivery types.


Um. WTF?!?!
Yes, honey, I have a great idea for date night, lets get some delivery and pop in this movie I picked up called "How your V-jayjay will never be the same again"
Sounds awesome.
I can't think of a better way to spend a few quality hours.
You want an idea of labor, watch "Knocked Up"

Lets get some perspective on this situation. No, I am not "a little curious" about this labor thing. I am freaking the hell out about this labor thing and it is 4.5 months away. Plus, I still have people telling me I am not looking pregnant -- and while this is clearly an issue for me (see previous post) the idea of hunkering down with a National Geographic special on birth seems a TAD premature at this point.
And PS - should you suggest this to me, you will NOT in fact score points with me. Odds are good that you will in fact, kill all sex credits for the next 5 years.
So there you go.
A little glimpse into the current insanity of my life.

Now Listening: Icky Thump by The White Stripes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my lord....those were some HUGE boar balls!!! I will email you the pics so you can post them accordingly....you can't just have a post like that and then have nothing to show for it!!