Friday, August 29, 2008

Moving sucks

Moved yesterday.
I hate moving.
let me repeat, I hate moving.

And I grew up moving every 4 years of my life (if not more) so the logical theory would be that I could handle this. And then it dawned on me, when I was moving all those times, 1) I wasn't really moving because how much can you expect a 6 year old to pack? and 2) we had movers. And not just movers, but packers as well.
And that kids is what makes it all bearable.

In fact I hate it so much, that I got not one but two cold sores yesterday. Just in time for a bunch of family photos at my cousins wedding yesterday.
Good times. Good face fungus, I-am-so-pretty-times.l


So playing house day one has had it challenges.
The least of which is the mass chaos of boxes.
The outlet for the dryer doesn't match, so we will need to get an electrician in here to change that out and really culminated Thursday night about 1 AM.

We had a bat.
It was one of those nights where you are so tired that you can't actually get to sleep.
So, I headed downstairs to watch some TV -- and swooping around in the living room, said flying rodent.
Made a mad dash back upstairs and called Joe - who was at his place doing some late, last minute packing. He says I'll be back in a few. As I am hanging up the phone, the bat found my room.
Let me get something clear
I can handle spiders, mice, even small snakes, but bats -- freak my shit out. I mean, they fly. And swoop. And are rabid and gross.
So it swooped out of the room. And at that I point I realized that I didn't know where all the cats were. Cats that are not exactly current on the rabies shots.
I know, bad mom.
So I am going through the house trying to see if I can trap the bat in one room and as I am going through turning on all the lights, realize that I can't find the damn thing.
No, the house isn't THAT big. So I am thinking that it has found someplace that it really likes in the house, but I can't find that spot. So right as the missing bat is no where to be found, Joe walks in. I am thinking, great, he probably thinks that I am totally off my rocker and making this all up.
So we are walking through the house trying to find this thing when I made the comment that I haven't looked in the basement.
This house is 100 years old. So the basement is well, 100 years old. With nooks and crannies ALL over the place. As we are walking down the steps, Joe is like, finding this damn thing down here is sorta like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Oh, and Joe was armed with a broom.
We turn into the first room, flick on the light and in like less than a second that bat was swooping down on both of us.
I freaked, ran for the stairs, and Joe started swinging the broom like it was the bottom of the 9th in the World Series with the scoring run on 3rd.
4 or 5 good smacks later, the bat was no more to this world.

Nothing like a good welcome to the house bat experience.
And that is how I spent the first night in our new house.

I am sure there will be much, much more to report.
Stay tuned.

Now Watching: Something on TV that is more background noise than anything.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Makes me feel better about our crickets & spiders...they appear to be diminishing now that we've been here a week (& purchased some extra bug spray). Daphne - mighty weiner dog kind of likes to play w/ the crickets - good times! I have confidence the bats will move out for you too!
Congrats on the new pad!