Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Month 4 and Counting

Had the monthly doctors appointment today.
The stats for those that are keeping track:

My weight: up 2 lbs. Respectable.
My belly: currently measures 17 cm. Which is right about where it should be. They tell me roughly 1 cm for each week of pregnancy. Slightly bigger than 16 weeks, but one week at this point isn't a big deal.
Baby's heart rate: 152 BPM. Down slightly from the 160 last visit. But healthy. Normal range is 110 - 180. Which is a large bell on the curve, but whatever.

So. Met with the doctor. Told me not to lose any sleep over the fact that I might be sleeping on my back. When it gets uncomfortable, stop sleeping that way. Seems like a blinding flash of the obvious. But any of the books would have you believe that sleeping on your back is tantamount to child abuse.
Whatever.
They took a blood "donation" to test for one more genetic abnormality. And for whatever reason, all I got for my donation was a cotton ball with a piece of medical tape and a bruise. Didn't even get a good band-aid. Although I think I might have pissed off the lab tech as I informed her that I always bruise when giving blood. It wasn't meant to be an insult to her abilities. I just have sensitive skin. Always have. Get over yourself and move on.
That is about it. Healthy.
I did get a kick out of one thing we talked about. Tells me that at any point now, I could start feeling the baby move as it is big enough to let me know he is there. This sensation early on is described by many as one of the following sensations:
-butterflies in your stomach
-live fish in your stomach
-someone tickling you from the inside

Now - for any of the three I challenge you: when was the last time you had either butterflies or live fish in your stomach to create said sensations. Exactly.
And for the tickling from the inside, just well, gross. And besides, would it actually tickle?
As the nice doctor is trying to explain to me this feeling he just looks at me and says
"well, I am a man, so really, I can't tell you"
Breath of honesty.
It struck me as funny.
So there is the little leprechaun update for the week.

In other news:
Congrats to my friend Annie and her long-time boyfriend Dan on getting engaged over the weekend.
Also, got to spend the whole weekend with Heather and Sebastian eating our way through Des Moines. I never really considered DSM a culinary destination, but I was wrong. They got out here with a whole list of places to eat. And eat we did. They drank and ate. I ate and observed.
But a good time was had by all and it is always a great time when we get to hang out with our crazy east coast friends.
And that kids is about all I got for today.
So peace out.

Now Listening: A New Day At Midnight by David Gray

No comments: