Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Barak's Booty Call

That got your attention didn't it??!!?
Yeah - that's what I thought.
And no, this isn't some Monica Lewinski type thing. For one, I am not an intern and for two -- well, the whole idea is just too far out there.
The scoop on said booty call --- if you can actually call it that.
And I did mean to get this out over the weekend, but as packing and the Olympics dominated my weekend just never really got around to it.

As you may be aware, prior to the VP announcement by the Obama campaign they were allowing people to get registered to get a text message with the VP selection in advance of notifying the press. Sorta a insider-tip for the faithful to get. So I signed up. We all know that I am a rabid text messenger anyway - you have a way better chance of getting hold of me that way.

So the press is abuzz about the whole selection process late last week. Who is going to be? What will the selection process be like? Will this be the ticket of the ages?
I could go on, but I will leave the exaggeration and rhetorical questions to the pundits.
Friday night, or more technically, Saturday morning at 2:41 AM -- yes, 2:41 AM my phone rings with the text message ringer.
Now, 3 AM text messages are not exactly a new thing for me. They have historically come from one baby daddy in various forms of inebriation - which for the record has been curbed, progress in my mind. So, my first thought was crap -- what is up now?
Grabbed the phone, and rather blurry-ly glanced at the message.
Barak has chosen Sen. Joe Biden as his VP nominee.
Blah, blah and then it closes with this nugget:
Spread the word!!

A few things here. One, there was no disclaimer that I saw when signing up for the message that indicated it would be at O'dark-thirty in the morning.
Two - spread the word? At 3 AM? Like I have a phone tree of people that I needed to call right then and there? Answer: NO.

I dunno. Maybe they thought the only people that really wanted the message either didn't care what time it was sent or are so young and ready for change that they are up all night long dreaming of ways to change the world for the better.
I was neither of those people.
I can only surmise that they wanted to get the message out in advance of the Saturday morning papers.
I can honestly say that is the only time that politics has kept me up at night.
So there you go - the only time in my mind the phone rings at 3 AM is one of the following:
1) emergency
2) booty call
3) or every 4 years, the possibility of a VP announcement.

What else is new?
I hate packing.
A lot.
My house is a maze of boxes and piles of crap.
The movers come on Thursday morning. Frankly, I just want to get this done and over with.
Get settled and get the new place set up.

Oh, and I have popped. I have a tummy. Which now lends itself to more touching and discussion about said tummy.
Ah, the joys of pregnancy.
Well, we are at 20 weeks this week, so half way there. Lets just hope for everyones sake, that I don't lose it in the next 4.5 months.

And I have replaced my addictive Olympic watching with a new addiction: the Democratic Convention.
For the record, the closing ceremony's of the Olympics about brought me to tears. Not because of the poignant personal stories, the medal count or the sheer artistic beauty that only a Communist nation can provide -- No, it was the fact that I was going to have to go back to the bleak, barren world of summer programming on TV.
Which, is still a bit of an issue. While the convention is interesting, I can't do a straight marathon of watching the way I could with sports. So I still need something to bounce between.

Move is t-minus two days and counting. Followed by a family wedding in Omaha and then back to town for cleaning old place and getting new place set up.
Oh, and dealing with 3 cats that handle change REALLY well.
Yeah. Really well.

Could be a whirlwind few days.
Can't wait.

Now Listening: The Charlies' Angels Soundtrack -- hey, its on shuffle, I can't complain.

No comments: