Monday, June 18, 2007

Someone is messing with my car karma

For those of you that are unaware, I am somewhat cursed when it comes to automobiles. I believe this curse to be somewhat unfounded, as I do try to keep the car in good shape. But with my old car for example, any trip to Omaha was certain automotive failure -- brakes go out, tire goes flat... you name it.
Now the bug has been somewhat luckier in that respect. I have replaced more than a few headlights, and there was that chain of car wrecks in which people kept just running into me, but on the whole, the Love Bug vibes have been decent.
Until the last week or so. In the last week I have discovered the following:
  • I am 1,000 miles over on my oil change.
  • Headlight is out
  • Taillight is out
  • Check engine light came on.
And then, to add insult to injury. I got a flat tire yesterday. My sisters and I had taken my dad out for lunch for Father' Day. I was heading back to Des Moines from the restaurant, so we said our goodbyes there. I made a quick detour to the ladies room prior to my 3 hour trip, headed outside and noticed my car looking like I had parked in a hole.
Nope. One very flat tire. Of course, I am full from lunch, tired from the night before and its ooh, say 90 some-odd degrees outside.
So my sister Courtney and I go to work.
Melissa it seems, was going to supervise. Which is code for: I have never changed a tire, probably never will change a tire so I will stand around and comment on how freakin' hot it is.
Courtney starts jacking up the car -- in heels no less, no car emergency is worth sacrificing fashion -- and I go about getting the spare out of the car. We get the car jacked up, then realize we cannot get the bolts unscrewed. So over ambles (it's Kansas, they amble there) an older biker guy who was about to get on his rather bad-ass looking motorcycle. Tells Courtney, you have it jacked too high. So, we lower the car down and he gets the bolts started for me. He takes off and we are off to the races. A few minutes later, I have the old tire off, the new tire on and we are in business. Of course, right as I am finishing up tightening the bolts, ANOTHER guy stops and asked if we needed help.
Yeah - thanks Mr. Knight In Shining Armour, we are all set.
Now, covered in sweat, my hands looking like a grease monkey, I am all good to go. Made it home in one piece, and now have one more thing to add to the list of things to get fixed when I get into the shop. Of course, all those things will be cheap. Oh, wait. No they won't. I own the most expensive electric blue plastic in town. Hopefully now, I have paid whatever cosmic penance the Car Gods have meted out for me and I will restore balance to the Automotive Force.
Here's hoping anyway.
Was down in KC for the weekend. Courtney had a little party. Sorta like a Tupperware party, but more like a Slumber Party.
Spoiler Alert: if you are at work, don't go to this site while sitting at your cube.
We had a great time. Went out afterwards and returned home to my sisters amazing interpretive dance skills and mad-karaoke ability. Let's just say that you haven't seen anything until you have seen my little sister sing (and I use that term loosely) "That's What Friends Are For"
Truly a thing of beauty.

And in closing, some pictures from last weeks birthday extravaganza DAY TWO.


That's Martine and I doing a stirring polka at the Piano Bar -- and yes, I said POLKA. No party is complete without one.
Heather and I a few cocktails into the night -- note the purple lips, that's how you can tell :)

And all the girls that came out to help me celebrate.
You can see the rest of the pics here. These were just the best. Translation: the ones where I don't look 1) really intoxicated or 2) really fat.
That should bring you up to date.
Now Listening: Unplayed Piano by Damien Rice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Through good times, and bad times, I'll be on your side forever moooore...that's what friends are for!!! Thanks for the shout out and word to your mother!