Monday, June 11, 2007

I need an off switch

And so begins another week here in the Heartland.
Its a gray, overcast Monday and I have little motivation as I had little sleep last night.
It seems that my teeny brain has decided that the best time to start churning out the deep thoughts is roughly at 11 PM when I turn out the lights.
So, I tried reading. Give the old noggin' something else to mull over. Tried again with the light off at about midnight.
No dice.
Finally gave up, went downstairs and turned on the TV. Finally fell asleep somewhere in the 1:30/2 AM neighborhood.

The cause of said deep thoughts?
I will give you three guesses and the first two DON'T count.
Stoopid boys.

Well, the boy himself wasn't stupid. This mental meandering came as a result of some comments that were out of left field on Saturday night.
What Meghan, could you possibly mean by that?
Well, allow me to tell you.

So this weekend was Winefest here in DSM. Annual wine tasting that has several events over the course of 4 days. I have a good friend that is a wine distributor that is always in need of help to pour for these sort of things, so I agreed to help. In return I got free admission for two of the nights -- the public tastings. One Friday, on Saturday. The Friday is the more casual (and cheaper of the two) 90% wine with a few food spots. The GRAND TASTING -- sounds so pretentious doesn't it? -- is a bigger deal. Tickets are twice the amount from the Friday event and there is more wine and more food.
Saturday I get there as planned. We get set up, and I take a few minutes to scope out scene to see where I want to go when I get some free time. Each table has a sign above it to indicate either the vineyard or the restaurant/catering company.
So I am looking around and I see the table for the restaurant that Joe works at.
Beautiful I think to myself. And some how, I just KNOW that he is the one that will be there. They have 4 stores around town, but I was convinced that he would be the one working the table.
Fast forward about 2.5 hours. I got my break, grabbed my glass and plate and off I went.
I start my tastings and move my way around the concourse, and sure enough there at the Legends table... one ex-boyfriend.
I kept to my original plan of attack and got the rest of the food and wine that I wanted.
I go back to my table to continue my work for the Ridge winery.
BTW -- great Zinfandel, the 2003 York Creek .
Eventually, Joe must have gotten a break because I see him like 2 tables down.
Now I know that I am going to have to see him and be polite. And in fact, that is what happened. We said hello, small talk bullshit and I had to go back to pouring.
So this is towards the end of the night when this goes down. At 9 PM the event technically ended. And about 10 feet from my table, a group of my friends had camped out. Event ended, I poured myself a glass and went to join them. And yes, he was there.
One of the women that were among the group was a lady I had been introduced to like, months ago at the Cafe. I was subsequently re-introduced and we were talking about the festival, our favorites, etc when she says to me out of the blue...
You know, you and Joe belong together.

Couple of mitigating factors here:
  • We were at no point in the evening talking about me and Joe
  • she did not know that we had dated
  • She barely knows me and I only think she knew who he was from the cafe
  • She made this determination, and subsequent comment, while a we were standing about 2 feet from one and other.
All these things are running through my mind as I am trying not to choke on the sip of wine I had just taken.
I looked at her and was like,
Um. thanks. We actually did date and broke up about 2 months ago.

Well, then he is being silly -- clearly you belong together.

At that point, I gave up. And I also knew that comment would haunt my sub-conscious for a little bit. And that boys and girls is how a little nugget of unsolicited opinion? statement? can drive a woman to insanity. At least one that tends to over analyze, not that I am like that or anything.
Really.
At all.

Which leads me to the conculsion, that if one could invent an off switch for your brain, I would be like a ga-zillion-aire and not have to deal with crap like this.
I gotta get working on that.

Now Listening: St. Elsewhere by Gnarls Barkley

1 comment:

bethm said...

have I told you lately that I love you? I really do. I need more of you in my life. Looking forward to helping you celebrate your birthday tomorrow.