Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day Five of my new life

or the story of how my belly button came back. The Little Leprechaun made his arrival. Finally.
And we have proof:
There he is.
Finnian James McConville
January 25th, 2009
9 lbs 4 oz (yes, that big)
20.5 inches long
Things finally kicked off about 9 PM on Friday night. So yes, when you do the math -- he was born at 4 AM -- we were in labor for about 30 hours, give or take a few.
And while we had the best of plans, all natural, totally in control, things ended up a little different.

Made it to about 7.5 cm dilation before I realized that I needed the epidural.
And when I needed it, I needed it RIGHT NOW.
God love that doctor. Joe told me after the fact how big the needle was. Didn't care, didn't feel it.
And we got to 10 cm in good fashion and we all thought, sweet, we are gonna have this kid today. Well, it seems that while I never thought my hips would not be able to handle a kid, it seems that Finn had other plans.
We couldn't get him to move on his own. So after 3.5 hours of pushing, we ended up having to go the C-section route.
I don't remember much about it. Other than being cold, Joe being right by me and him screaming when they finally brought him over the curtain commenting on how big he really was.
But in the end, he arrived, was healthy and we both are doing great.
Joe was awesome. And hasn't taken his hands off of him since he arrived. I am not sure I could have done it all without him. Our doula was fantastic. All in all, while it wasn't anything near what I had hoped it would be, it was amazing. Our families stuck it out at the hospital the whole time. And the flood of friends was amazing.
So what have we learned this week in the post-labor world.
My belly button has started to return.
Staples are in fact uncomfortable.
Percoset is a great drug.
Sleep is a lost art.
One flight of stairs never seemed so large.
Joe was made to be a dad. He hasn't let this kid out of his sight.
And so, it begins.
And here is another picture of him, a few hours older and looking still as cute:

No comments: