Tuesday, January 13, 2009

the 80/20 rule

Not sure how many of you are actually familiar with the 80/20 rule. We use it a lot in my line of work.
But here is the official definition from Wikipedia:
The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule,[1] the
law of the vital few and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many
events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.[2][3]
Business management thinker Joseph M. Juran
suggested the principle and named it after Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, who
observed that 80% of income in Italy went to 20% of the population.[2][3]
It is a common rule of thumb in business;
e.g., "80% of your sales come from 20% of your clients."

I however, am living proof of the opposite of this rule.
The Smith Principle or the 20/80 rule.
As we found out on Tuesday -- which was just yesterday, yet it seems like AGES ago -- is that we are 2 CM dilated. 1/5th of the way there...or 20%. However, that 20% of effort isn't gonna get me anywhere NEAR 80% of the needed progress to get this kid out.
Its the remaining 80% (or 4/5ths for my fraction friends) that is gonna be the death of me.
Not in a painful sort of way, although I do expect a significant level of that. No -- its the waiting to accomplish the remaining 80% that is could quite conceivably drive me over the edge.
I have become a permanent resident of Crankytown.
Some reasons for such residency:
1) Traditionally I am not a very patient person.
Strike one, as I have learned that the last few weeks of pregnancy are an exercise in testing the outer limits of your patience.
2) I plan for a living (hello, Project Manager)
Strike two, as the not knowing and more importantly, not planning, is driving me to new levels of anxiousness.
3) At the end of the day, I feel like I have been walking around with a 12 lb bowling ball strapped to my crotch.
Strike Three. Not sure how many of you have actually attempted to walk around with a bowling ball strapped to you, but I wouldn't put it on any New Years goals lists. Hell, not sure I would put it on a 1,00 thing to do before you die list.

And so, three strikes, I'm out and off to Crankytown they ship me.
And as I am right on the exit ramp to Crankytown, I am met by well-meaning people with insane suggestions on how to make this kid show up.
Drink fresh pineapple juice.
Walking
Spicy food.
Power wash my house
You get the idea.
I guess this is my caution to anyone who actually has to deal with me in person for the next few days -- I am not a terribly pleasant person right now.
Good Luck all.

Now Listening: Walk the Line Soundtrack

No comments: