Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Who me? Irrational? Not possible

I think there is this poster child pregnant woman that everyone has in their minds when the topic comes up.
Some rapidly ballooning, hormone laden, irrational, large ankled woman on the verge of losing it and only staying sane with a gallon of ice cream in one hand and a large vat of pickles in the other.
Clearly this is not the case.
I mean, I haven't craved pickles at all.

Seriously though -- it is true. Maybe not quite to that extreme, but everyone has this idea. Like I could go from 0-Bitch in 6.8 seconds.
Frankly, I could have done that prior to getting pregnant.
I guess what I am getting at, is at any given point, I have experienced one or more of the "typical" pregnant side effects if you will.
And some not so typical, but that is not the story today.
I had been warned by friends of the "irrational" bug. They claimed it was one of the most frustrating things about being pregnant. You KNOW you are being irrational, but you can't stop yourself from feeling, saying and doing X.
Up to this point, I have been just fine in that department thank you very much. I haven't overreacted to too much (at least I haven't been called on it yet) and like to think I have kept a decent sense of reality about this whole process.
Until the last two days.

-you had to know that was coming.

It all stems from the little leprechaun moving around. He is moving quite a bit these days. To be expected. And up to this point, he was most active in the morning and then about dinner time.
Well, over the last few days that pattern has changed. And of course, all the books are saying if anything changes, call your doctor or start charting the babies movement.
Yeah, like that will work -- middle of a meeting and I have to excuse myself to go count kicks.
Practical, really.
I swear these books are written for woman that just sit around rubbing their stomachs and thinking positive pregnant thoughts while only feeding themselves organic, whole foods that they grew in their own garden.
Moving on.

Now, keep in mind, he is still moving. Still feeling the nudges, bumps and kicks. But somewhere along the line I had convinced myself that something was up.
And then today, we had our doctors appt and it took the doctor a few minutes to find his heartbeat.
Total freak out.
I mean, I didn't lose it in the doctors office or anything, but my brain was on total overdrive for like, 3 minutes. It was not pretty. Had it gone a minute or two more, not sure I would have stayed calm. At least on the surface.
But, long and short... they found it. 140 BPM. Right where it is supposed to be. And as I type this he is pounding away on my insides.
Basically, it sucks. You know you are off your rocker and yet you can't stop yourself. Oh, and 12 more weeks of this.
Whee.

Now Listening: Gossip in the Grain by Ray LaMontagne

No comments: