Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Whirlwind Weekend

Where to start? Lots to catch up.

Lets start with the freshest little nugget in ye' olde' noggin.
They tell you pretty early on that when you get pregnant your dreams have the possibility of hitting the outer stratosphere of craziness. Some blame it on hormones -- which for the record, I think is the medical communities fall back answer for everything odd in pregnancy that they don't understand -- others on the lack of full REM sleep that makes things more memorable. Who knows. But for a girl that never got up at night and NEVER remembered dreams, the last few months have been a bit of an eye-opener in that department.
Lets just say that I think that my sub-conscious has been trying to tell me something for awhile. I have just been too oblivious to it.
Not so much anymore. Last night being a classic example.
For starters, after a very full weekend (more details on that later) I was pooped at the end of the night. Fell asleep on the couch before half time of the MNF game. Woke up to the World Series getting a rain postponement. Went straight back to bed.
So in this dream, I was pregnant - shocker. And going into labor. But when we went to the hospital it was sorta in the middle of a corn field - which our hospital is not, thank you. I mean, yes, we live in Iowa, but not in Hickville, USA.
Anyway, my mom and sisters were with me. And they sent us to this little room. I mean little. And not sure where Joe was during all of this.
A few minutes later - had a kid. No major labor, no big to-do, just boom. Baby. And it was a girl, not a boy.
So they shuffle us through a few more hallways, where I run into two more people I know having a baby. One of which is actually pregnant, one isn't. And then they sent us home. Like the whole thing was just a few hours at this maze of a hospital in the middle of a corn field.
But rather than go to my house, we decided to go to Tony's place. As in Cafe DiScala Tony's apartment. And Joe was there. So we talked for a few minutes about the baby -- no explanation of where he was and then he was like, well, I have to go to work. To which I went ballistic and threw things at him. At this point my sisters and my mom just sorta faded into the wood-work.
And that was the dream.
So go to it my Freudian friends.
The thing about it that sticks in my head was the fact that my mom was there (obviously), the baby was a girl, I was really pissed off about not having a labor "experience" and Joe was no where to be found until the very end.
Any thoughts, insight or theories on this one would be great.
Leaving the slightly esoteric behind....

As I mentioned, full weekend. We had the Race for the Cure on Saturday. Had really good turn out, the weather cooperated (thank goodness) and a believe a good time was had by all. I think the final numbers for the race were over 24,000. Which someone told me puts us close to New York City in terms of turn-out.
I had minimal food left over after brunch (another big thank goodness) and got a trial run at baby-proofing my house with 2 two year olds and 3 under 10 month old babies in my house.
We have some work to do in that arena, but time to get to it. Was really curious to see how the cats reacted to all of it. One hid the whole time, one would hiss at the kids and then walk away (not too happy with that behavior) and one was totally chill with being mauled by little hands.
Saturday night we all went out to dinner to celebrate my sisters birthday. And Sunday was my first baby shower.
Big thanks to all my friends for showing up, family for coming from out of town and just everyone hanging out for a few hours together.
And big shout out to Martine, Lisa and Courtney for throwing it all together.
I had to play one game -- guess the baby food. Which in all fairness, I think I did ok with. My sisters picked up the baby food and threw some combo's in there. Pretty tricky, those girls. But I believe I finished a more than respectable 4 out of 5. I missed applesauce of all things. I thought it was pears.
And for the record, most baby food tastes like crap.
We then moved on to the gift opening. Lets just say that our friends are generous to a fault.
We got a ton of stuff. I mean it.
It took two cars to get it home.
And the coolest part of the day, was the whole party contributing to a Squish Quilt. In short, it is an Asian tradition to create a quilt of good wishes for a new baby. Everyone contributes a piece of fabric and some well wishes.
Now, I am not a "quilt" girl in the traditional sense, but the idea of having one that actually has some meaning behind it is pretty cool. You can read more about them here: www.quiltofsquishes.blogspot.com
As soon as we get it put together, I will get a picture.

So tonight starts our birthing classes. Can't believe that it is here. Can't believe that I am going to birthing classes. That should be, well, interesting. Stay tuned for details. At least the ones that I feel are worthy of sharing.
We also meet with a doula tomorrow. Its like baby over-drive all the sudden.
So that should bring you up-to-date on the latest in our world.
Other than that, just watching the election move towards what I hope will be the right conclusion. Just a week left.
Which is good -- the commercials are really getting old.

Now Listening: Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn

No comments: