Thursday, August 30, 2007

True Love


My parents have been married for 34 years. I think it is fair to say that not everyone of those have been picture perfect. But, they have stuck it out and I consider myself lucky to have them as a model to follow -- should I ever get married. That is a whole other post and many, many sessions on the proverbial couch.

I digress. Back to my topic.

But with my mom's illness, I have noticed a new level of devotion between the two of them. Nothing exemplifies this more than the scene I was able to witness on Saturday. As I mentioned, we came back from the party early. My dad and I had some dinner, and then moved out to the deck as it was a great night. Opened some wine and were just chatting. My mom decided she wanted to come out and join us. So we got her situated, and I had to run inside for a minute. As I was doing that, my dad said something about turning on the CD player. My uncle has the whole house wired -- including the deck, so I turned it on shuffle. As I was coming outside, the Temptations "My Girl" had shuffled through the play list. I opened the door, and there was my dad singing to my mom.

I actually had to turn away and compose myself a little bit. I felt like such an intruder on a very personal moment. However, as I told this story to Martine, she reminded me how lucky I was to actually have that memory.

And I agree.



No comments: