Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Des Moines Ink

Perhaps I am watching too much tattoo centric TV
  • Miami Ink
  • LA Ink
  • Assorted Discovery channel documentaries on the history of tattooing -- yes, I watch them.
But as I was sitting, rather laying on my side last night observing the ins and outs of the local ink shop, I got to thinking, those shows could just as easily be about the Des Moines crowd as any big city. We had the crazy tattooed owner, the other guys (and gals) in the shop throwing snide comments -- and more than a few expletives - around. The local urban flavor just coming in and out of the shop to see what was going on. A random woman that wanted this huge tattoo, right then (all the artists were with clients) and for only $40. I believe the answer was for $40 you can get a heart. A small heart. So we mocked her for the rest of the night.
There was the apprentice -- watching over everything and getting each station cleaned up and ready to go for the next victim, I mean client.
And then of course, us crazy fools who were getting all the work done. There is a weird bond that is instantly created by sitting there watching each other work through the pain of getting a tattoo.
But new ink I wanted, and new ink I got. We had a slight change in the plan. The original intent of this session was to cover up the first one that I ever got. The design I chose, while appropriate for cover up was problematic. It is problematic in an old-school tattoo rule that until last night, I was unaware of.
Animals.
When tattooing animals, the old-school artist would always face the animal so it was pointing out from the body. Now the larger part of this design that I had selected was the front portion of the cat's body. Due to the position of the old tattoo that we were covering up, we would have had to place the cat facing into me. Which Dave was fairly adamant about. At first I was like, not as concerned about that as he was. To which he explained, one -- I can't in good tattoo-artist-faith position it that way and two -- do you really want this cat staring at your ass for the rest of your life?

Sold.
So, we opted to move the design to the other side of my hip. Plan eventually was to get a design on each hip and blend it with my Celtic cross on the small of my back -- so this was not a big deal. I still have to look for something for cover up, but I can work on that.
So my cat from the Book of Kells is now on my hip....

And yes, that is my large gut hanging out, but whatever. So it is done. The new word of the day today is: tender. Clothing, slightly irritating. Seat belt -- ouch. Twisting around in seat, not a good idea. But this is what I wanted so no bitching allowed.

Now Listening: 11:11 by Maria Taylor

No comments: