Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Stressful Manifestations

Well, it happened. I sorta expected it.
Cold sore time.
I mean, I am sure you all LOVE reading about my herpes. But, what is a girl to do?
They normally show up during one or two times:
1. When I get a really bad sunburn. The UV breaks down the skins ability to fight the virus that causes them. Which is really kinda a bummer. Like it is not enough to be as red as a lobster, you get face fungus.
2. Stress. Normally they hit right after the height of the stressful time.
I got mine today.
This makes me nervous as I don't think we are anywhere near the height of what I have known at this point to be stressful.
For the record, they hurt, itch, and just overall take forever to heal.
And no, I did not get them from any sort of contact issues. They are also genetic. My mom had one for almost every school picture she ever took. Didn't get my first one until finals of my freshman year in college. Frankly, if that was stressful, I don't remember. I just remember not sleeping much.

I bought a new shirt for myself and my sisters today. Check it out here. At first I thought, Hmm. I probably will offend someone. And then reality kicked in and I thought, who gives a rats ass if I offend someone with this? Everything about the way this has happened is offensive. From the lack of medical ability to cure it to the every day crap my mom has to go through. So I will wear it proudly.

I did see my mom this weekend. Life at the Smith household has gotten interesting. What amazes me the most is how old she is looking. Like in the course of 2 months, she has gone from my mom to a slightly younger version of my grandma. And it blows.
My parents house is in no way, shape or form designed for someone that is not 100% mobile and healthy. This has translated into having to keep an eye on her when she goes up and down the stairs. And in the shower. And getting in and out of bed. And she isn't very good at staying still. So, that is a constant battle.
The pain meds keep her pretty loopy when she is taking them. Which is almost daily at this point.
We are also re-evaluating the plan to do one more round of chemo. That was being done to help stretch time at this point and for whatever pain management it could provide. Frankly, as it is is chemo, the side affects at this point are just not in-line with anything we consider "quality of life". So my parents are going to talk to the oncologist.
On the plus side -- we are planning a 60th birthday party for her. Current invitee list is somewhere in the neighborhood of 225 people. October 13th. Mark your calendars.
Equally on the upside is how amazing my parents friends have been. I cannot use the word thank you enough. It seems as inadequate as saying this sucks. But it is all you can do. They have made this a much easier proposition.

And for the REALLY good news of the day -- providing you didn't get depressed and stop reading. Martine asked me last night to be the godmother for little Noah!!!! Totally thrilled. Of course, my emotions are hanging by a thread right now and I started crying right there in the restaurant. But -- who cares?? Little munchkin is as cute as can be and I am honored. There are babies everywhere in my life now -- kinda getting used to them :)

Now Listening: A guilty pleasure mix that I cannot even admit to publicly :)

1 comment:

John said...

i dig the shirt. who was it that said "fuck 'em if they can't take a joke"?