Sunday, February 28, 2010

the second time around

I had one of those moments this week that I think is only possible after your first pregnancy.
I was very lucky last go around to get a huge amount of clothes from friends to help off-set the cost of maternity wear. Now -- I still have some, but with other people having babies in the interim, the bulk of the donated stuff has managed to find its way into new hands.
So - on a daily basis I struggle with what to wear to work.
This week we had a less-than-stylish day on Wednesday.
I mean that in a relative term -- most days when you are 6+ months pregnant are less-than-stylish. Comes down to two factors .... is it clean and does it fit?
So I threw on something that would pass for work clothes and off I went. My first of 26 trips to the bathroom during the day revealed what I knew in my heart of hearts to be true.
I looked like a big square house. The clothes I was wearing were too big. And when you are already the size of a duplex moving to the size of a 5 bedroom colonial in the burbs, clothes that are bigger than needed don't really help out in the self-confidence category.

Up to this point, this is an experience that your average pregnant woman is going to have - first baby or not
The complete and utter downer comes when its your second pregnancy and you are not only faced with the realization that in fact, you DO look like a house in too big clothes.
But -- and this is the kick in the ass -- you know that in 10 weeks the clothes that you are currently swimming in will be too small.
All of this takes place in the minute or so that you are looking at yourself in the mirror while washing your hands.
Yep - good times.

What else?
Wedding planning is progressing Got a cake guy - aka baker -- and the florist locked in this week.
And per the trend, our estimated costs were not even close. I swear, I am gonna have to sell my kid to pay for this damn thing. And no matter what article I read about how to handle a budget -- none of them have rules for how to have a budget wedding with 300 freakin' people.
Because - it doesn't exist.

Ok - off to watch something on the Olympics and get to that next load of laundry.
Whee. I love weekends.

No comments: