Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rainy Thursday

I believe I am going to come out of my maternity leave a smarter person.
I say this as the lack of quality programming on daytime TV has led me down a viewing path to the Discovery, History and National Geographic channels. Hell, I even watched some Iowa Public Television.
Now, I know there is a small section of you that are thinking, TV? Shouldn't you be doing stimulating, yet developmentally relevant things with your kid?
Sure, if you know what those are that don't include feeding him, changing him, napping with him and talking to him, just let me know.
And I am only talking to him in one language, so please don't suggest I take up another one to teach him right now.
So - its either those channels and all the learning I can do, or countless re-runs of Law & Order.
This also means that I am totally behind on anything related to current events, music, movies, books -- you get the idea. If it is an adult topic that doesn't include the pros and cons of Pampers vs. Huggies, then I got nuthin'.
I now understand why we thought our parents were so not relevant growing up. They didn't have time to keep up. Not for lack of wanting to, but sleep deprivation, keeping a house in running (notice I did not say clean or organized) order, and managing to take a shower every other day keeps me from spending too much time reading the paper.
I cringe to think what is going to happen when I tack a full time job back on to that heap.
I think that is the double-helix-upsidedown-loop-de-loop portion of the rollercoaster we call life.
Can't wait.

And breathe....

Moving on, Finn is doing awesome. Although, he has gotten into the habit of getting sorta fussy (read: pissy) at night. And doesn't do so well at 3 AM when it comes to going back to sleep after being fed, but for the most part -- good kid.
We had our one month check-up Tuesday.
The stats for those that care:
Weight: 10 lbs 5 oz (50th percentile for weight)
Length: 22 inches (75th percentile for height)
Which according to the doctor tracks him at 6' by adulthood. That Joe or I could make a tall kid is somewhat amazing. That he is not a super-chunk of a kid is equally amazing. I always thought we would make a short, round kid. We shall see what the future holds.
New pictures are posted, check the Flickr site for updates.
Ok - the little leprechaun is getting fussy. And as the only mom-cow in residence, that means that I am needed.

Now Watching: Operation Valkyrie: The Plot to Assassinate Hitler on History Channel -- see, I told you.

No comments: