Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Good-bye Good Friend

Yesterday sucked.
Not post-partum. Not overwhelmed with my new responsibilities. Not hormones.
Nope, we had a shit day at the casa.
We had to put Bailey down yesterday.
This is Bailey.
He has been around for over 10 years. Through moves, new jobs, relationships -- he never complained. Ok -- maybe he did. I did take to calling him my "cranky old-man". And he was. But he was my cranky old man and I loved him. He was "my" first pet. We had animals at my parents house, but those were not mine.

The bottom line was he was getting old, somewhere between 13 - 15 years old. Had lost a bunch of weight -- which doesn't fly in the feline world at my house. All my cats are large -- 12lbs plus each. He was the big guy at 17 lbs when he was in good health.
And yesterday it was obvious that we had reached the end. So I did what I could to keep him comfortable. And Joe had to take him to the vet. I just couldn't do it. With the hormones on overload, the situation was just a little too much for me to handle.
So I said good bye to him and take solace that he isn't getting any worse.
He will be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget the thunderous sound of Bailey and Mau Mau racing up the steps in hot pursuit of that damned bat at 3 am. . . but you didn't hear it . . cuz you were comatose - I mean asleep. Thank goodness we had them to protect us:)

Hugs, doll - Bailey was a good cat.
-Danielle

Heather said...

I'll miss Bailey for so many reasons...mostly the join he brought you and his harem (of cats...Boris and Natasha)