Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Long Weekend? LONG Weekend

Can't believe Memorial Day has come and gone already.
The first half of my long weekend was spent at the services for Mandy.
It was really weird. I mean, I kept thinking that it wasn't really real. It was uncommon for me to go a day or so without seeing her, so I think that is where my head was at. Not to mention that the casket for the visitation was closed.
I do have to say, I have never been a fan of open casket viewings. It always struck me as weird, gross and generally never looked like the person that we were saying good bye to. That being said, having now been to one that was closed, I get it. I just felt like there could have been anyone in there. Didn't really sink in until the funeral on Saturday. That was tough.
Her grandfather performed the service and he is a baptist minister, so we got a little ole' timey religion preached to us.
That was, um, interesting. And we will leave it at that.

The rest of the weekend was spent in pursuit of happier pursuits. My cousin Jack graduated from high school, so went up to Cedar Falls for the graduation party. We had a good time, great turn out and saw lots of family I hadn't seen a quite a few months.
One downer, the weather.
Don't get me wrong, I live in Iowa. I expect a certain amount of severe weather this time of year. Basically, the whole summer can give rise to some exceptional thunderstorms. You will even get the occasional tornado warning thrown in for good measure. But Sunday.
Wow.
Now, keep in mind, we are talking somewhere between 100 & 150 people at my Aunt and Uncle's house. They have a large house, but still needed the outside for overflow. So the storms start rolling in and people start moving inside. Lights flickered a few times. And then the down pour started and the power went out. Followed shortly by the announcement that we needed to get to the basement.
To recap, power out (no AC or ceiling fans for circulation) 100/150 people pouring into the basement and its dark.
So the storm worked through and I didn't think that it was a basement worthy storm.
Seems I was wrong.
Really wrong. Read about how wrong I was here
As a point of reference, Parkersburg is only about 10 miles west of where we were.

Finally got the all clear, and still no power. So that is ok. Except all the food etc is being kept cold in the fridge that now cannot be opened. Oh, and since they live out of the city limits, the water and septic systems need power. Translation: you can't flush the toilet.
We went about 2-3 hours sans power and had actually gone up the street and were getting 5 gallon buckets of pool water to dump into the toilet tanks when the power came back on.
Fair to say, it was a graduation party to remember.
Made it home yeaterday in time to hit Nate and Martine's pool and chill out for a bit.
So, all said, it was a good weekend.
Not looking forward to this week. Short weeks tend to have a habit of becoming nasty weeks.
Stay tuned.

Now Listening: Dirty Vegas by Dirty Vegas

No comments: