Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The flood round III?

I don't know if I was born under a water sign. Or maybe there is some past-life experience that is tied to water (pirate anyone?)
Regardless, I have water issues.
Lots and lots of water issues.

This time, however, I am not alone in my water issues. The whole state of Iowa is looking like swamp land right now. Rivers are well above flood state, levies are full, basements are soaked.
They are saying this will be comparable to the floods of 93'.
Yes, they are that legendary -- the 93 floods.
Good news: in the ensuing 15 years, they have **supposedly** made all sorts of improvements to the drainage systems throughout the city to avoid the big mess of yesteryear.
Time will tell.
And while I take little comfort in the fact that my water-logged fate is a shared one. It still sucks.
I spent Friday afternoon squeegeeing (sp?) the water down the drain. I left it Friday night with all standing water gone -- still wet mind you, but no water.
I came down Saturday -- yep. Puddles. And not just puddles, but a soothing trickle of water from the various corners of the basements down into the main drain. I swear, its coming UP from the ground and finding every nook and cranny to seep into.
I know people pay good money for water installments in their homes.
I have not. Nor do I see myself doing so any time in the immediate future.
Oh - and it rained all day on Sunday.
So, you can stand in my kitchen and just listen to the comforting, waterfall sounds of the water running into the drain.
At this point, I have given up. I am going to just let it run until it slows down. I mean, I could be down there every night for a good hour plus, pushing water around, and then get to do it all over again the next day.
Call me lazy, call me indifferent, or a bad home person.
I give up.
This basement hasn't been really dry since I moved in a year and a half ago.
And the rain is supposed to continue. And the rivers are due to crest sometime this week.
I love water.

On the upside, its not finished. And all that is left down there after the previous two major floodings, are rubbermaid bins and coolers. Nothing that could get really damaged.
I am left with two words to describe the fun:
Glub, glub.

Now Listening: 14 Songs by Paul Westerberg

1 comment:

Maestro said...

The weather pixie needs a raft.