Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Drunk Dialing 101

I had another post started yesterday, but upon re-reading it decided it was a little depressing, even for me. So, we are trying again.

Went and saw The Killers show on Monday. It was a great show. It was however hot as HELL in that place. I mean like, my jeans were sticking to every pore in my skin, there was a thin sheen of condensation on the floor that didn't come from spilled drinks -- just all the wetness in the air from the 2000 + people sweating their balls off. On the upside, I only had a few drinks and left the show totally sober as I sweated out all the liquid that I consumed almost instantly. I took a cold shower when I got home -- that should tell you something.

Which segues so nicely into our topic of the day.
Now, as is well documented among these many posts, I am in my early thirties. Now this belies a certain sense of responsibility and grown-up-ness.
Clearly, I have you all fooled. Well, some of you anyway.
Either that, or dating someone who routinely acts like a 2 year old has lowered my mental age down to that of a drunken college sophomore -- in their first semester no less.
So as was noted, I had (emphasis on HAD) been doing a decent amount of drinking. I have -- I am please to report -- been much better in recent weeks (ok, one week, maybe one and half -- this is my party, let me take solace where I can). But I think it is fair to point out that even in my various drunken states, I have NOT partaken in the below documented behaviour.

I got home from the show on Monday night, took the aforementioned cold shower and then read for about 10/15 minutes before going to bed. So, it was probably about midnight when I hit the pillow.

Fast forward an hour --
ACTUALLY -- REWIND TO FRIDAY.
Forgot to tell you about this one.... Met up with Martine for lunch at the Cafe last Friday. Beautiful day, ate outside, had a nice time. Prior to leaving, I excused myself to use the ladies room and as I was coming out, I see Joe's dad having lunch. Now. I am as I said, in my early 3o's. So, I wasn't just going to ignore him. Seemed rude. I have no issue with Rick -- or anyone in that family. Quite the contrary, I like them all immensely. I stopped and said hi. We exchanged some brief pleasantries before he got to the meat of the matter.
So, what is up with my deadbeat son?

For those of you that haven't taken a grammar lesson in awhile, that is a direct quote. Sorta took me a minute to respond. I mean, this was his dad calling him out. So I was kind and said not sure, blah, blah. Basically said nice to see you, I will let you get back to your lunch. And he was like, good to see you -- Keep at it.

Ok, so NOW fast forward BACK to Monday night one hour past my previously mentioned bedtime of midnight.
Cell phone rings with a text message indicator.
Wakes me up.
It is Joe.
Drunk Texting me.
AWESOME.
Apologizing, telling me he misses me, he has been an asshole ...
So on and so forth.
And this happened last week as well.
All the while I am am thinking,
1. Why did I respond?
2. Its 1:30 in the freakin' morning.
3. This is so 'i-am-a-sophomore-in-college-drunk-dialing' moment. I say this because all my other in their early 30's friends are soundly asleep, not being bothered by crap like this.

Of course, we resolved nothing. As I mentioned this was drunk texting. So, I give him the window yesterday with a voicemail.
**Please no Dr. Phil commentary on why I shouldn't have even answered the text, much less called him the next day**
I said, in summary, I think we have some things to discuss that need both parties SOBER. Please give me a buzz and we can go from there.
I got nuthin' in return.
serves me right.

WTF?
You boys, you think you know what you want, and then you change your mind like 8,000 times along the way.
BUT you reserve the right to call and ask to come over anyway?
Gutsy move I will give you that.
STUPID AS ALL HELL.
But gutsy.
Narf.
So here we are. Back to the drama. Not sure where this is all going to lead to. Any ones guess is fair game at this point.
So stay tuned. Same bat channel, same bat time next week. As I am SURE I have not heard the last of this one.
Out.

Now Listening: The Loon by Tapes N' Tapes

No comments: