Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Darwins Secret

Now Playing: Erykah Badu

I am still in Kansas.
It is sorta like a bad dream.
Working in the burbs' , commuting 40 minutes every day, driving 10 minutes to get a decent cup of coffee...
the list goes on.
I will not bore you with my less-than-rockstar lifestyle this week.

I should update with the latest and greatest on dating...
Franklin's suggestion to solve my dating woes: Move to Austin.
Apparently you can just pick eligible, intelligent, gentleman off the dusty plains of Texas.
I knew I was going about this all wrong...
Kidding Frankels ... it was a sincere offer. He told me if I came to visit, I can have a date every night I am there.
Natch.

Mom unit came home last night.
It was... Interesting.
We found out what has been causing her to be so loopy the last few days -- they have been feeding her valium like breath mints.
Seems it was part of her prescription history, so they figured -- dish em' out.
It is actually only used to help her relax when she has MRI's.
But lets hear it for the doping friendly staff at KU Med. It has made for some RANDOM comments out her mouth.
Also discovered that my parents house in no way shape or form is designed for people who are less than 100% mobile.
And re-enforced the fact that my parents dog -- well, my Mom's dog -- is insane.


But what has really caught my eye over the last few days is this billboard that I see every morning on the way to work.
Little background on this one...
I graduated from a Kansas school. This was -- well, it will be 13 years this summer

Holy Shit... hadn't thought about that number in awhile.
I digress.

Since then the REALLY conservative members of the state school board managed to get Evolution OFF the state standardized tests. Leaving the scientific doors promptly closed for any conversation around Evolution vs. Creationism.

I think -- and I need to check this -- that they managed to get some form of evolution back on the exams. Not sure.
But this billboard....

Dark orange background.
The all-too-familiar shadow image of an upright gorilla/monkey/simian-type form

and it says in big, HUGE letters ...


Teach Evolution
But Teach it Honestly

What does that mean? And why does it need to be on a billboard?
Are we concerned that people are lying about evolution....

"See you came from horses... NOT monkeys, no wait, I mean dolphins, or ... "
That sort of thing?

This state kills me some times.
About as forward thinking as a slug.

And people call Iowa a fly-over state. We look positively liberal compared to this stuff.
And on that note, I have to go. I have a 40 minute drive home with all the other suburban lemmings.

No comments: