Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Monday Round II

I am not a morning person. Never have been. I have distinct memories of my mom and dad spending hours (or so it seemed) trying to get me out of bed for whatever event it was that I was supposed to be attending (school or church probably). I never took 8 AM classes in college, and still roll into work around 8:30, even though I swear I am coming in earlier to get work done. My kids haven’t changed this either. Oh – I get up with them. You sorta have to. But the first 30-45 minutes entails me laying on the floor in the family room, snoozing and letting them play on and over me. Then we get coffee and slowly, our day begins. And for all of you making disapproving clicking noises or shaking your head, its not like my kids get up at 8 AM. No, her highness is a 6 AM baby – so cut me some slack. And no offense to my husband, but he doesn’t get up with them that early, at least not on a regular basis.

And even though I roll into work between 8:15 & 8:30, I still need a few minutes to read the news, check email/schedule for the day and have my coffee. This morning, for whatever reason, it was an extra battle to get out of bed. I am sure there are a million reasons for why that is, but it was a cosmic showdown kind of morning. Final score was easily 3-1, in favor of the cosmos, but the real tally didn’t come until after I was out the door.

But here I was, getting out the door a little later than I like (Cosmos: 1, Meghan: 0), running the mental checklist – cell phone; check, computer; check, coffee; check, lunch; check… by all rights good to go. Pull into the parking lot and go digging for my ass-pass/id badge that I have to have to get around the office, and can’t find it in my purse. This in and of itself, not a surprise. I have chronicled the interworking of the Mombag before. It’s a dangerous place. A forlorn place of many twists and turns that will trick and cajole the average user. Joe won’t go near it with a ten foot pole. But, I am not the average user. So I dive in deeper, looking for said id badge. When pretty much all of the contents of the mom bag were covering the front seat and dash of my car, I realized the obvious… for what is probably only the 4th time in 4 ½ years, I left my badge at home. Now, in a normal world, I would just walk in with someone and deal with the inconvenience of a lack of badge. But we have loco security policies, so I had no sooner turned off the car, than was turning it back on go home and get my badge (Cosmos: 2, Meghan: 0). The only saving grace at this point, is because I was running late, the traffic was not an issue (Cosmos; 2, Meghan: 0.5). Get home and sure enough, there it is sitting on the kitchen counter where I put it last night. And I distinctly remember saying to myself, “Self, put that in your purse so you don’t forget it tomorrow.” Further proof that I need to listen to myself more often. So get back into car and head back towards work. Again. Contemplated swinging through the coffee shop for another cup, as it was shaping up to be that kind of morning, but decided that I should probably just get my butt to work and deal with the caffeine issue later. So heading back to work and notice that the clouds that were decidedly dark on my first run to work are getting darker. And for those of you that don’t follow the meteorological trends of Des Moines, all of our weather comes in from the West. Thank you Colorado. And this time of year, storms move fast. And after unloading the contents of the Mombag only 20 minutes ago, I am fairly confident at this point, that the umbrella is NOT in my bag. Or car. Get to work and my parking space is still open, (Cosmos: 2, Meghan:1) but it has started raining. And I have no umbrella. (Cosmos:3, Meghan: 1).

Long story short – made it to work, 30 minutes later than I should have, a little wet and needing more coffee as the annoyance factor to my day was more at end of day levels than beginning of day levels. And its only Tuesday.



Now Listening: The Rhumb Line by Ra Ra Riot.

No comments: