Thursday, August 04, 2011

I Feel Pretty

I know that I often (ok, practically daily) bitch about my body. Too fat, too short, too…whatever. Mostly fat, but that is besides the point. The point is that I have no qualms about bitching and moaning about a few things I dislike about my body that are ENTIRELY in my control to change. I am just lazy. And I like sleep. But that doesn’t stop the complaining.

Fairly certain that I have mentioned before that I am prone to cold sores. And no, don’t let your gutter-trap minds run amok. This isn’t some slutty side effect of college experimentation or anything like that. I get em’. My mom used to get them. Fairly sure that is where they come from. Never actually had one until my freshman year at college. At the time, didn’t know what it was. But yeah – I got me some herpes and its nasty. The one thing about my body that I can’t control.

And not like you see on those commercials, where the cute little woman talks about the uncomfortable red speck on her lip. Where in 3 short days she is off to whatever it was that was so pressing. No I get the drop-down, drag-out, see em’ from a mile away kind. The kind that don’t really respond to medicine. It may shorten it down a day or so, but pretty much from that first slight tingle, its about 10 days before they say adieu until next time. I would wear a burqa right now because that’s about how pretty I feel.

And here is the lousy part … aside from the itching and pain that they cause –which is very real. For the record.

• I can’t kiss my husband. At all.

• Can’t kiss my kids. At all.

• Can’t share anything .

• Will have to buy a separate chap stick to apply to the non-impacted portion of my mouth and then throw away as not to spread.

• Have to cut up my meals into smaller than usual bites as opening my mouth can be painful. So a big-ass burger or the like? Out of the equation until I heal up.



And trust me, I get that in the grand scheme of things – this is minutiae that is like, so inconsequential its not funny. But for right now, YUCK with a capital Y.

A small Google search on ways to prevent tell me things like: make sure you get good, regular sleep; try yoga; avoid stress; exercise. Basically this is medical code for we can’t cure it, don’t know how – so just sit and spend most of your time meditating. That should keep you stress free and therefore , cold sore free. Yeah, check my life for about 10 minutes and tell me how to keep stress out of my world.

Yep. All I got today.



Now Listening: Crystal Castles by Crystal Castles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love reading your blog. go on! i check every now and then from Utrecht, The Netherlands, how you are. I recognize so much, having also two small kids and a husband and a career what your blog. thank you.
MGH The Netherlands.

Anonymous said...

hey--just read your blog, I'm a little behind...do you have a scrip for valtrex? It really, really works--but you have catch it at the initial tingle...then once daily for about a week. I used to get them religiously, and actually have one right now, because I couldn't find my valtrex in time!