Tuesday, December 07, 2010

A Heavy Heart

I had a really snarky post all planed for today. And I still will get it out there. Not to mention the "guest post" listed below from my beloved husband.
I **had** planned on those things.
And then I saw the news today about Elizabeth Edwards. Quite frankly, I was quite surprised that it affected me so much.
Chalking up the fact that she passed away from the same thing that my mom did. She was 2 years older than my mother and fought her battle for a little less (one year) than my mom.
So why it hit so close to home shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. My heart hurts for her family.
It is no secret that people pass away every day. And people pass away every day from cancer. What this has done is publicly shed a light on something that families are faced with each and every minute of every day.
Cancer is brutal.It is more than a colored ribbon. Its cures are more often than not, worse than the disease. It strikes without prejudice, cause or care. It changes and morphs so that just when we are on the cusp of getting over the "cure" line, it throws a detour in our way. It touches every member of its patients families. It puts caregivers into situations they never would have imagined.
It does something else - it makes you say the things that you should say to your loved ones. It tests your strength and pushes you to personal limits that you didn't think you were capable of handling. It throws into very clear light those things that are relevant, important and that really matter.

So on a day where accolades will be public, the outpouring of sympathy very real and for a moment, this cause of cancer will be in the forefront again...I hope that the Edwards family and everyone that lost a family member today finds solace in their faith, the knowledge that tomorrow will in fact, be another day and that no one and no disease can take away the memories that each of us have. That is one thing that cancer cannot take away.

No comments: