Thursday, September 24, 2009

Awareness

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Not to be Debbie Downer or anything, but sorta a big deal in the Smith household. For a lot of reasons. Its one of those things that is a little bit of a bitter pill. Part of me is always so proud and blown away by the courage of the survivors. And they should be celebrated. Part of me really struggles with why we had to be on the other end of it. What statistical, karmic influence decided my Mom was one of the ones that wasn't going to beat the odds? And why we still don't have an answer for something that plagues so many families.
Boo.

**dusts self off from moment of sadness**

That being said, we (my sisters and I) are very tuned in to what is going on in the world of research, prevention and care. For good reason. Its not just my Mom. My great-Aunt (maternal), my Aunt (paternal) and too many friends have fought the good fight as well. So we support things in whatever way we can. Which brings me to my advertising blog of the day.
Two events that need support. Both of them fun, a great time and the end result is money in the hands of the researchers and the organizations doing all they can to help care for those that can't afford it -- the whole national health care debate not withstanding. That would be a WHOLE separate post. Trust me.

So here they are in calendar order....


Ride for the Cure 2009
A spin-off of Komen's Race for the Cure this event takes me back to my rockin', motorcycle riding days. Oh how I miss them. Sturgis, leather, SeatCandy --- yep, it was a blast. That being said, this is an event for my more rebellious readers. Those who run with the wind if you will. And the really cool part of this, is a spin-off of the spin-off. The inaugural 2010 Young Riders Calendar.
The deal is you pay a small fee, and you take your kid in to get photographed. With the spin being rebel/motorcycle themed outfits, setting etc. Once they have all the pictures, there is going to be an online poll and the 12 winning photos make the 2010 calendar. With all proceeds -- you guessed it -- going to Komen. This is perfect for all my parents. If you are in the Des Moines area, consider it. I mean come on, how many of us out there don't want more pictures of our kids? Exactly. Crack the wallet open and get registered.


And the other big annual event is the actual 2009 Komen Race for the Cure here in Des Moines. I of course, have a team this year. But alas, it is not the Save Second Base of old. Nope, someone beat me to the punch and stole my team name.
Bastards.
So - we took things a new direction this year. With the creative juices of my good friend Liz G., we came up with
I Heart Boo Bees
And the following graphic to go along with it



So get registered already. And you can join my team if you want.
Go here:
Komen Des Moines
Select the team, get your wallet and viola! You have joined the team. We are going to get t-shirts made with the above logo and of course, the usual breakfast back at the house on the day of the race. All in all, a good time and of course, the money going to a good cause.
Online registration ends on 10/02 so, get a registering...

Now Listening: to Finn bang toys together.





1 comment:

courtney said...

you should have added that even if people don't do the race, they can still donate...like the "sleep in for the cure"