Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Feminism & Match.com = Good Times

So as part of my ongoing commitment back to the blog -- sounds like a post-modern anthem or something "BACK TO THE BLOG" --
anyhew... As part of my renewed interest, I am trying to keep my updates current.
So, this week FEMINISM: ITS NOT A DIRTY WORD

Went and saw Gloria Steinem speak on Monday (thanks Martine!) and she was really great. She is fantastic speaker and did a great job of taking random thoughts that I am sure many of us have had and not only said them out loud -- but provided some sort of context for them.

Her message was pretty simple: we have come a long way -- we still have a hell of a road ahead of us. I really liked the fact that she no longer views things as "Feminist" movement or an "environmental" movement, etc. To her they are all Social Justice Movements. One cannot exist without the other. Pacifism, environmentalism, Feminism, Civil Rights --- the list goes on. But it was good. She wasn't angry, vitriolic or bitter. In fact, she spoke of the joy that this whole lifestyle has brought her. In fact, she is quite funny.

One funny story -- she had many, and cool names to drop in them, I don't -- but again, I digress. So clearly, this is a predominantly female audience. I think of the 2000 + tickets sold, that I saw maybe 40/50 men.
So one of the main men's restrooms had a sign over it that basically said: For this particular show, this facility will serve as a Ladies Room.
So, I went in. Line was shorter.
I should clarify -- I have used MANY a men's bathroom in my time. Be it desperation, alcohol or a combination of both, the environs of the male restroom is not, in my world, a mystery. Its more like a dirty, stinky, somewhat daring hazy reality.
But clearly there is a generation gap at work here. There were women in there just giggling like school kids about how they were in "forbidden territory" "unknown lands" etc. I will say it served as an eye opening event for one mother who realized that there was a baby changing table in the men's room. I have a feeling she will leverage that information when the time is right.
I just laughed -- these women clearly thought that they were performing some monumental act of rebellion.
Good times.

What else?
Going to start working one day a week at a restaurant here in town, Cafe DiScala. Should be a cool. Basically, I get to hang out, pour wine and get tipped for it. Clearly that is probably an understatement, but hey -- extra cash and just a few hours a week. Will help with debt, which helps towards house.
Speaking of house, going to put that on hold for a little bit until things calm down with my mom. Not sure what a "little bit" means -- but I will know.

Oh yes -- Entertainment factor for the day: Online dating.
I know I have talked about this before, but today's forays into the ether have caused near hysterical laughter for me.

Disclaimer: Some might find it cruel to make fun of people the way I am about to.
Deal with it.
Go to another blog if it bothers you.
On with the mockery..

So I get an email from this guy.
It says very succinctly:
how r u today? i would like to chat w/u so let me know if you would like to
or not

So I go to his profile to see if I have any interest in said "match" ( I use that term in the LOOSEST terms possible)
Here are the stats:
Kids -- Yep. Got 2
Spelling -- Clearly he can't. Which shouldn’t be a deal breaker for me as my spelling is atrocious. I offer up spell check and that ends THAT argument.
Undying devotion to NASCAR and Country: Check

Allow me to offer up some of the golden nuggets that he puts out there for all the ladies to read....
About Me and what I am Looking For:
"I AM 510 ABOUT 210 220 BLACK HAIR I HAVE BROWN EYES A NICE TAN WELL BUILT LEGS
AND A PRETTY STRONG UPPER BODY I HAVE A MUSHSTACH AND A GOTEE I WEAR CONTACTS
AND IM APRETTY LAID BACK GUY IM REALY EASY TO GET A LONG WITH I HAVE A GOOD
SENCE OF HUMMIER I PRETTY MUCH ENJOY JUST ABOUT ANYTHANG. MY PERFECT MATCH WOULD
BE SOMEONE WHO LIKES TO HAVE GOOD TIME AND WHO LIKES TO HAVE A GOOD CONVERSATION
AND IS LAID BACK JUST LIKE ME

Favorite Hot Spots:

"my faviorte place to eat is APPLEBEES the places i hang out are the local bars
and dance clubs. thats not varry offten. I would realy enjoy going veges for the
first time, or going on another cruse, going to the top deck at night out on the
ocean. "

Eds. Note: I did not adjust this text in ANY way. And clearly, did not spell check it

Now I ask you, anyone who knows me -- remotely knows that a man who considers Applebee's the cream of the culinary crop is probably not someone that I would spend a lot of time with.

He had some other gems, but I think these speak for themselves.

I will also clarify -- as my good friend Julie got stumped by this one -- I believe that "veges" actually means Las Vegas. Not veggies.Suffice it to say that I am not going to email him for clarification.
I think I should write a book about this stuff.
I mean, you couldn't MAKE this up.
Maybe I will make this a weekly feature: Crappy Match of the Week.
Could be good.
Names will NOT be protected. If you are that nuts to put your picture out there and NOT spell check, well, my sympathies only run so deep.
What can I say, I am a shallow bitch.

Ok - I think that I have rambled enough for one day. For the record: I have been a human grazing machine today. Appartenly it is eat-as-much-as-you-want-if-your-name-is-Meghan-and-you-work-in-a-corner-cube-day

Didn't get the memo? So sorry, I shall have to whip the cabana boy. He is slacking.





No comments: